Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Options For .308 Hm Rifle

Brian Payne

Just some quick questions for the experts. New thread in case the question got missed on another thread.

I have a DPMS .308 on order for use in the HM division. 18" barrel that is fluted, Miculek comp., iron sights, JP trigger, Cryo the barrel, and having the short handguard.

Now I see on another thread that the Miculek comp. may be illegal in 3-gun?, and I have also seen it written that the Cryo would not be worth the money for any gains you may get? My final questions would be about the fluting of the barrel and the short handguard. Is fluting the barrel a good idea for the little barrel weight you may lose? Another shooter stated he chose the longer handguard over the short one. Which would be better? and why? Does the longer handguard aid in reliability?

Sorry for all the questions, but on Monday I will be calling on the weapon and it would be the last time to make any changes.

Thanks in advance.

Your comp is OK, I really dont know about the fluting and the cyro, they sure cant hurt. My barrel is fluted but the next one probaly wont be, I will just get a lighter profile. I would get the longest handguard I could get, more places to grip or rest the rifle. sounds like a good rig to me.-----Larry

It is only USPSA (as far as I can tell), that has rules for Limited and Tactical Division rifles that restrict the comp size to 3" long and 1" in diameter. The matches that reconize "he-man", "heavy-metal" or other such "big gun" Divisions don't have any such restrictions on comp size.

It is only USPSA (as far as I can tell), that has rules for Limited and Tactical Division rifles that restrict the comp size to 3" long and 1" in diameter.  The matches that reconize "he-man", "heavy-metal" or other such "big gun" Divisions don't have any such restrictions on comp size.

RM3G uses the 1" x 3" comp rule. It applies to Tactical and He-Man classes only.

It is only USPSA (as far as I can tell), that has rules for Limited and Tactical Division rifles that restrict the comp size to 3" long and 1" in diameter.

The truth is that almost all 3 gun matches follow the 1" x 3" rule for Tactical/Limited/HM legal muzzle brakes.

http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/multi-g...ules/img-rules/

--

Regards,

Don't flute unless you just want to do it to impress chicks. If you want lighter, turn the barrel down. But in He Man class, I kind of want all the weight I can get - but that's me. I like heavier rifles. I'm not a believer in the theory that light rifles are faster in transitions, particularly in He Man class but again that's me.

I want all the handguard I can get primarily b/c I like to hold the rifle w/ my weakhand quite a ways out towards the muzzle. It also allows more flexibility when shooting off rests and barricades. And a long handguard also gives you more room to bolt crap the gun and protects more of the barrel.

I don't see how a long handguard would in in reliability though.

I had always heard that a longer handguard would equal a longer gas tube, that would equal greater reliability vs. the shorter gas tube. Don't know if this would be true or not. I do see where the longer handguard would be an advantage.

If the Miculek comp. would be illegal, what other comp. should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

It is only USPSA (as far as I can tell), that has rules for Limited and Tactical Division rifles that restrict the comp size to 3" long and 1" in diameter.

The truth is that almost all 3 gun matches follow the 1" x 3" rule for Tactical/Limited/HM legal muzzle brakes.

I don't doubt what you're saying, but looking through the rules for the SMM3G and DPMS Tri-Gun, I don't see any rules that deal with compensator size. It just says that Tactical and Heavy Metal Division rifles must be of a "factory configuration" R 6.5.1

I heard about the Miculek comp being illegal, so I did a little checking.....

The Miculek comp in question is the one for the .308 rifle....not to be confused with the original one. And as I understand it, it is 1.25" dia. The original Miculek comp for the AR15 is 1.00 dia.

At this point, the Miculek comp is legal for use in the Superstition Mountain Match and the DPMS tri-gun challenge, in the tactical and he-man divisions....and well, so is the original JP Comp (the howitzer one) for that matter.

The Miculek comp (1.25 dia) and the JP comp are not legal for use in the limited and tactical divisions in USPSA or the RM3G.

So......if you are only going to use the 308 at the Tri-gun or Superstition, the original JP Comp would actually be a more effective comp to use for recoil reduction.

The JP Tactical comp is 1" dia x 2 3/4" long or so and would be legal in all 3 gun matches in all divisions.

Getting a 308 down to 8 pounds would be nice to do.....so if you need to put it on a diet, that would be a good thing. I'm not a fan of fluting, but DPMS seems to be having no problems with their fluted barrels......from what I have heard, but do not know this personally. I do know that the DPMS barrel I turned down lost no accuracy what so ever......the barrel is a hummer.

I do not really like to recommend one 308 over the other......as the big 3 all have the +'s and -'s depending on your own situation and what you can do or spend.

I do not know what sights DPMS has to offer for the 308, I use a front globe and a redfield international rear sight and then a short range tac sight on the FFT at 1:30...which is also legal to do in all division in all the 3 gun matches. This way I have a long range precision sight and short range fast sight that I can use for hoser courses :)