Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which class for the new guy in 3 gun?

Thaunk

If all goes according to plan I start playing 3 gun in February. What I'm waffling on is which class to go into. I've got an Eotech on my rifle now so I'd be in irons. I got to talk to the match director and he mentioned shots out to 300 yards. I'm worried about being able to see the targets unaided. Is that resonable?

Great advice from one of the top competitors in the sport. The important thing is to know where your bullets will impact at any distance. Go to the range and work with your rifle to develop a good zero and find your holds for varying distances. A close small target can cost you real quick if you hold in the wrong place. Accurate rifle shooting and shotgun loading speed are two very important aspects of a three gun match.

Hurley

Can I zero for 200 yards on a 100 yard range?

There are great targets online that will compensate by keep in mind it is generally close, and not exact... The ammo manufactures can also provide you the ballistic tables for your ammo. The issue I see a lot is people will buy cheap ammo to train with. They will zero to that, and then try to use match ammo at comps. This will play hell with accuracy.

• 3 weeks later...

My first match I ran a Eotech on my AR, mossberg pump hunting shotgun (4+1) and my glock 19 carry gun and had fun doing it. I pulled shells out of my pocket for shotgun reloads and learned how to run a stage safely. Whatever gear you have will work to get your started. Once you get on the range talk to the guys who shoot stages the way you wish you could and learn. upgrade gear as you go and sooner than later you will be broke like the rest of us 3 gunners! its worth it...

• 3 weeks later...