Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quad load with a SuperNova

I'm trying something different this year for giggles and going to shoot HeMan gear. I picked up a SuperNova which is still stock except for a longer Nordic tube I added. I reload using support hand quads.

Today while practicing I found a problem in that several times when I flipped the gun over to bring the load port facing up, I could not get the rounds to push the shell lifter down out of the way fully. I found that in the motion of firing the last shot, as I broke my support hand grip to go to my belt, I must be causing the foregrip to move maybe a quarter inch rearward. That is enough to start the motion of racking the gun and I guess therefore blocking the lifter.

So I was able to work around it by making sure I pushed forward every time I started a reload sequence. But it feels a bit unnatural. So if there any tips or tricks or shotgun modifications the experience pump guys can offer?

Thanks all.

Don't run dry. On a more serious note. Do you still have shells in the tube? If so why are you loading before raking. If not, try to plan to not run dry. If you have to push forward on that pump before you reach for the reload. This is all from my limited experience with a SN using strong hand quads. I would hang up if the pump wasn't locked.

I don't have the gun with me at the moment but I think I understand your point. The drill I was running was to shoot a round, then I started the reload with the spent shell still in the chamber. If I had racked a fresh round into the chamber first, then reloaded, does that keep the action locked up?

I don't have the gun with me at the moment but I think I understand your point. The drill I was running was to shoot a round, then I started the reload with the spent shell still in the chamber. If I had racked a fresh round into the chamber first, then reloaded, does that keep the action locked up?

Yep.

Like was mentioned earlier, don't run gun dry, the unlocking of the action after firing will cause shell carrier to be forced down. About five years ago, Trapr Swanson (part of Redneck Tactical) posted some pictures of Nova/Super Nova mods. One of them was to remove a small amount of material from the shell carrier where it interfaces with the bolt carrier that will allow loading while the bolt is unlocked. If you search "Nova mods" it should come up. I believe that he later said that the mod was not necessary.

I shoot a Nova, I have not modified my gun to load with the bolt unlocked.

Hurley

• 2 months later...

When you use the pump enough you will start to rack the gun immediately after taking a shot. Let this happen - if its your last round, still load on an empty chamber, then load the gun with your chosen quantity of ammo, bring the gun up to the shoulder and double tap the shot! Obviously the first shot will be on an empty chamber, but this will unlock the action so you can carry on. This takes the time of one extra shot which is usually quicker than loading one in the chamber.

• 3 weeks later...

We discussed the same question in our club and I asked Monster Finns about it. They told me that they are loading with hammer cocked, then they press the trigger when mounting the gun to unlock the action and cycle the action. When the gun is mounted it's ready to fire at first target.