Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convert a Kimber 45 to 9mm.... what's involved?

mrgrabow

Hello: It can be done if you use a 9mm standard barrel. The slide will have to be fitted to the frame, not the frame to the slide. You are going to have about $800 in parts plus fitting and machine work. I am fitting a complete 40 slide setup on my new Springfield 9mm Loaded right now. I just have the serrrations to do on it. You can figure about $900-$1100 for a complete top end which is about the same as a Kimber 9mm target. Thanks, Eric

I did it to a Kimber (.45 to .40). Had a Kart barrel and bushing from another project so it made sense to me economically. 9mm 1911s are readily available so I doubt I'd do that project, but don't let that stop you. It's fun and nice when something you built works.

If you want the .45 top end to work, either use an unarmed 9mm barrel or buy a ramped .45 barrel and fit it to the .45 slide.

I did exactly the same thing on my armscor/RIA 45acp, I had an extra 9mm slide (cheap one i think I got it from sarco, inc) bought another barrel from sarco @ $60 for a 9mm and what ever extra parts I have. Now this is just my plicking gun although I use it sometimes on local club match every now and then. All I need to do when I want to shoot the 45acp slide is change and ejector. Gun runs good so far @ 1k on the 9mm slide.