Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 load data, off hodgons incorrect?

jtrump

I'm about to dive into loading .40 for my sti dvc...

I've ordered bayou bullets in 180g

and I'd like to use W231, or HP38 for the load, it's what I have..

I would like to load to 1.18-1.20oal for feeding reliability.

My book isn't giving me a great idea on where to start, and neither is the reloading center site for Winchester powders, or Hogedon.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm interested in hearing them. If you are running a similar load, your chrono results etc. I will be chrono'ing starting low and working up, but any more information I can get here is going to help me tons.

Thank you all in advance!

I've loaded a lot of plated RNFP 180 gns over HP-38 for my Tanfoglio Witness Match (4.75" barrel). Plated probably runs slower than coated, which may run about the same as lead. Here are some loads that I found for LSWC:

Sorry. Hit the wrong button before I was done typing. Again, these were for 180 gn LSWC bullets but loaded to around 1.135"

3.5 gn HP-38 737 fps

3.8 gn HP-38 750 fps

4.1 gn HP-38 815 fps

For the plated RNFPs that I have personally chronoed, here are my results:

4.1 gn HP-38 740 fps

4.4 gn HP-38 825 fps

4.7 gn HP-38 858 fps

5.0 gn HP-38 890 fps

Again, your coated will probably run a little faster than my plated - especiailly since you are using a 5" barrel but since you are loading longer, your pressures will be lower and that will also lower your velocity. But these should get you in the ballpark.

My book isn't giving me a great idea on where to start, and neither is the reloading center site for Winchester powders, or Hogedon.

The data Hodgdon has online for the 180 gr "BERB FP" is where I'd start.

The Berry's bullet is copper plated, and the data for plated will be close to what's needed for your coated bullets. Hodgdon's data uses an OAL of 1.125" so you'll need more powder to make the same velocities at your longer OAL.

Start in the lower end of the range provided by Hodgdon and work your way towards your velocity goal using the data from your chrono as a guide.

Thanks guys, Will be chrono'ing next week.. I'm going to start out at the low end and run 10-15 bullets through to get a good SD and solid number.. I'm thinking the magic number is going to be 4.8 depending on what i decided to go OAL

Waiting on caliber conversion kit etc etc, bullets to arrive.

mbx mags and holster rig on the way to!

Hodgdon gets their data from their set-up, which is done with SAAMI specifications (1.125" OAL). Most books are the same way. The only place I see data for loading long is forums like this one where we go outside SAAMI. SAAMI is insurance for information. Hodgdon, Sierra or Lee can't publish data outside SAAMI specs because of legal liability.

For reference, in my Edge, I use 4.7gr WST at 1.180" for a coated bullet I getlocally. It is in the middle of Hodgdon's data for a Berrys plated, but runs faster because I use coated bullets.

I would also make some bullets to SAAMI length and see if they feed reliably in your DVC. At a local last year, I ran short of ammo and had to use some from another shooter which were loaded to 1.125" and never noticed. I am going to try to see if I can save some powder by loading shorter.

I ran a 100 rounds of that Perfecta brand "fiochi/tula" ammo through the gun today.. It's very short OAL I measured it. So far WWB 100 rounds, and 100 of the perfecta "dirty" factory ammo, no hiccups whatsoever "kinda surprised from what others have said about factory stuff in their STI.

Thanks PKT, My "friend/smith/GM limited shooter" is going to sit down and make sure I do everything right, just like he did when I first started loading .45acp. I think were going to start at 1.180 OAL and 4.6g w231, thinking 4.8/4.9g is going to be the magic number.

So far loving this gun, first time using a speed holster hitting A's at 15yards with factory ammo 1 shot draw at around 1.05sec-1.19sec. I'm feeling good about this switch to limited!

• 2 weeks later...

My 40 load is 5.0gr W231 with 180gr Acme or BBI at 1.160" length. I average 169pf with this load out of a Para Pro Custom 5" and average 166pf out of an M&P Pro 5". Loading at the longer length will require more powder. If you are loading at 1.180" I would start at 4.8gr and work up from there.

• 2 weeks later...