Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

replacement mag springs for Dawson 10rd 9mm mags

shootin-blanks

I understand Dawson magazines are made for them by Metalform.

If I am wrong, move on, this won't help.

I bought some of the first Metalform 10x9mm magazines. They did great for a while but then quit picking up the slide stop (I shoot mostly IDPA and that has to work.) I replaced the springs which did little good. I recalled that Metalform 9x.38 magazines fed 9mm well in my guns. So I discarded the 9mm spacers and put in .38 guts which worked fine. I soon ran out of .38 Metalform followers and they would not sell me any, so I cut down .45 Metalform followers to fit. Some I used extra long springs cut to just take 10 rounds with enough slack to load 10+1, others I just used the stock spring that I had recently bought new.

That seemed like a lot of work, so I did the last couple with Tripp follower and spring; one .38 and one 9mm.

They all feed and slidelock.

But my main magazines now are Tripps. I have a few McCormick XP and Wilson ETM which do OK, and have an ETM II on order. But so far I prefer the Tripps. I still use the rebuilt Metalforms so as to have enough preloaded magazines for a six stage IDPA club match, but will not likely buy more.

Edited by Jim Watson

Hello: springs are wear items so you should think about changing them once a year if used a lot. I would just get them from Dawson that way you will get the correct springs. As a test you could stretch the springs to see if they stop the double feeding. Not a permanent fix but might tell you something. Thanks, Eric

They are 6 months old... I bought a pak of XP wolf springs... let you all know how that works out..

For information purposes, a better description of usage would be helpful. Example. I have six mags and shoot about 1000 rounds/month would tell us more.

Edited by t0066jh

• 2 weeks later...

update... I ordered a 10 pak of Wolff XP 8# mag springs.. the seem to be an exact match to the ones that came in the Dawson/metalform mags.. .043" diameter and same coil count..the new springs were 1" longer than my 3-6 month old springs. After two practice sessions and and a 6 stage match.. things seem to be good to go... no issues..

Edited by shootin-blanks

As another point, check your recoil spring in your gun, especially if it's a light 9 or 10lb one. I was getting double feeds too, with mags that were brand new. I too thought it was the mag springs. But it turned out the recoil spring was shot out after only 1,000 rounds. And the slamming of the slide against the frame was jarring rounds out of the mag. A new, and slightly heavier recoil spring, solved problem immediately.

Edited by Postal Bob