Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken hammer pin

JD45

I have a Rossi M 88 revolver. The pin the hammer rotates on broke while dryfiriing, flush with the frame.

I don't know if it's welded or threaded in or what. My gunsmith needs to look at it to see.

Anyone know?

Is it one of the Braztech imported Rossi guns? I only ask because the Braztech imported guns have a lifetime service policy.

If memory serves, bountyhunter is correct. I believe it's pressed/swaged through the frame, and then blended on the outside.

• 9 months later...

Update. 

My gunsmith said it was welded in and would cost way too much to fix. 

So it's a bunch of nice parts but can't be shot.

Anyone wanna buy some parts?

The frame would cost too much to ship, but the non FFL parts could ship cheap.

i was never gonna buy this brand again. But someone posted that S&W breaks them too! Though I've never had one break.

#1 contact Rossi (not a fan but most manufacturers fix their stuff)

#2 get another gunsmiths opinion

#3 drill it out and re pin it

#4 S&W may use the same technique but they are still in business and warranty their stuff and every gunsmith worth calling them self gunsmith can do basic repairs on S&W

Not that big of a task to drill out the frame and either press or solder in a replacement pivot pin.

How much was your gunsmith quoting? If you didn't want to have the frame refinished, that's the work of about an hour and a half, including making the pin.

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2016 at 3:19 PM, JD45 said:

Update. 

My gunsmith said it was welded in and would cost way too much to fix. 

So it's a bunch of nice parts but can't be shot.

Anyone wanna buy some parts?

The frame would cost too much to ship, but the non FFL parts could ship cheap.

i was never gonna buy this brand again. But someone posted that S&W breaks them too! Though I've never had one break.

Personally I have broken 3 hammer pivot pins, One on a S&W Model 681, 2X on my 1989 Model 625, notice these are stainless guns. Anyway on the 625 S&W drilled out and re pressed/ silver soldered?  a pin into the frame. That is how it is today, both pistols shoot fine. So if you really want that Rossi fixed it can be done. Hope it goes well for you.