Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting in with a Loaded Gun

RickT

The SC rules clearly don't forbid this: Make Ready followed by a max of 2 minutes for playing with the gun. Is it really up to the discretion of the SO? Doesn't matter much to me, but consistency is nice.

The SC rules clearly don't forbid this: Make Ready followed by a max of 2 minutes for playing with the gun. Is it really up to the discretion of the SO? Doesn't matter much to me, but consistency is nice.

Assuming you mean "sight picture" and not actually sighting in the gun then it's permitted but up to the RO. Rule 5.3.1.2 covers this.

FWIW I don't like that the rule says it's up to the RO to decide if additional sight pictures are permitted. The rule either needs to permit it for all or not permit it except during the Make Ready process.

I was very unclear in my original post. The logical interpretation of the rule is that following the "Make Ready" command the competitor loads, chambers and safeties (if applicable) his/her handgun. Maximum of two minutes is allowed the competitor for sights pictures. I've had ROs request that sight pictures not be taken with a loaded gun which I can only surmise is the result of some other vague rule that gives the RO the discretion to prohibit any activity he feels unsafe. I'm wondering which of the procedures is most common.

5.3.1.2 looks to me like it is saying "additional" as in beyond the standard 2 minutes. Loaded sight pictures are fine. If the RO does not like a loaded sight picture, you should also through in a flip and catch when you ULASC and give them a heart attack.

Edited by RJH

You have 2 mins after the make ready command to take sight pictures loaded or not. The RO does not have the authority under SCSA rules to disallow a loaded sight picture during this time. The additional sight pictures is referring to in between each string, because it eats up a ton of time and slows the match.

If a shooter loads the gun and while taking a sight picture fires a round it is a DQ for firing a round outside of a timed string. If You are going to RO you need to know the rules. Some think they can make up their own.