Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb groove in wood grips

Aggie

Having a hard time reaching the mag release button with the wood grips on my stock II. Does anyone know if cutting a thumb groove in your grips would be uspsa production legal? I emailed Troy a few weeks ago but haven't gotten a response.

I think your fine if you put a relief on the wood grips.

But if you struggle with that, Henning makes a set of grips that have the relief already on them.

He's in the Vendor section under EAA/Tanfoglio.

henningshootsguns.com

Edited by gunnit

Eric Grauffel also makes a thinner grip, EG Xtreme grips that a lot of guys use too.

At times you will find them for sale in the classified section, because they were actually to narrow for some.

Definitely a personal choice and what works for each individual.

ericgrauffel.com

Edited by gunnit

I've actually tried out all of the grips out there: wood, Henning, EDG, SSI, etc. Even though the wood grips are a little too big, they're still the best option for me. Just can't work up the nerve to start sanding on them because if I mess them up...well, I've already spent too much on grips.

Take your time and sand a little.

If you mess up, put an add in the classifieds under the EAA/Tanfoglio buy/ sell/ trade chop shop,

and most likely somebody will sell you they're original wood grips that they aren't using any more.

Consider taking a shot at it, especially if you don't like the way they are now.

Other guys have sanded on they're wood grips and they come out looking great.

Edited by gunnit

Aggie - thanks for posting your question. I've been trying to decide whether to attempt this or not with some of my wood grips or to spend a lot of money on a pair of the aluminum Henning or EG grips. Let me know how it goes, what tools you used, lessons learned and post a few pics of the finished product. If it goes well, I'm going to give a shot.

I had a thumb groove in mine. Bought a Henning when it was on sale and have never looked back. Easier reloads.

So you would recommend the Henning contour grips? I've been looking at those but the $135 price tag has kept me from pulling the trigger. No pun intended.

I had a thumb groove in mine. Bought a Henning when it was on sale and have never looked back. Easier reloads.

So you would recommend the Henning contour grips? I've been looking at those but the $135 price tag has kept me from pulling the trigger. No pun intended.

I would. I got mine 115 shipped when he ran a special 2 weeks ago.

Edited by bulm540

I saw his post too late to take advantage of the Thanksgiving discount. Hopefully, he will offer a Christmas discount soon.

What's your opinion of the EG grips vs the Henning contour grips? I've got small hands so I'd like the thinnest grips possible.

I have small hands too, but the Xtreme grips were too thin and flat for me. I had air between the palm of my hand and the grip with the EG Xtreme grips...

Currently running the wood grips. They fill my hand and have a nice palm swell, but would like to have easier access to the magazine release and would also try something between the wood and xtreme grips in thickness. However, would also like to stay legal for IPSC production and if I read the rules correctly only factory grips are legal. Can't modify the wood grips or use the Henning grips. :(

Ipsc rules state that you can use any grips that have the same contour as factory grips. You can thus use the EGD or Henning panels or sand and alter the factory wood grips and still remain Production legal. As long as the profile isn't changed to a wrap-around style with finger grooves or with a built in magwell you are good to go.

To give an example using the CZ Shadow, it is possible to use VZ grip panels, DAA grips panels and the like and remain IPSC legal but you may not use the Hogue wraparound grips with the finger grooves.

Ipsc rules state that you can use any grips that have the same contour as factory grips. You can thus use the EGD or Henning panels or sand and alter the factory wood grips and still remain Production legal. As long as the profile isn't changed to a wrap-around style with finger grooves or with a built in magwell you are good to go.

To give an example using the CZ Shadow, it is possible to use VZ grip panels, DAA grips panels and the like and remain IPSC legal but you may not use the Hogue wraparound grips with the finger grooves.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure what "contour" meant, if it was just the outline or the shape and I assumed the worst.

I'll go the route of modifying my wood grips, starting with making clearances for mag release and safety. Then I'll try to customize the grips to fit the shape of my hand better. :-)

Edited by mrd

First try, gonna get the feel of this for a while and then see if I want to remove some more. Will probably also put some grip tape on top of left panel to add some friction for strong hand. As you can see I made mag release and safety more available on left panel. On right panel I made some clearance for the trigger finger.

Used a dremel with rotating sand paper for removing the bulk of the material, then 120, 240 and 400 grit sand paper by hand. Finished with a dozen or so layers of Scherell Extra Dunkel stock oil.

post-61755-0-52138300-1450128935_thumb.j

post-61755-0-14551700-1450128990_thumb.j

Edited by mrd