Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb groove in wood grips

Aggie

My understanding of not allowing to modify the grip came from this rule.

16.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing (the removal of burrs and/or adjustments unavoidably required in order to fit replacement OFM parts or components), are prohibited. Other prohibited modifications include those which facilitate faster reloading (e.g. flared, enlarged and/or add-on magwells, etc.), changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes, stippling or other embellishments.

I am sorry if I gave you a wrong info,

The jury is is still out, I think.

The rule does say "profile and contours", not just "contours", Appendix D4, 17.3, IPSC rules for Handgun (Jan 2015):

"Aftermarket grip panels which match the profile and contours of the OFM standard or optional grip
panels for the approved handgun and/or the application of tape on grips (see Appendix E3a) are
permitted. However, rubber sleeves are prohibited."

I asked a IPSC Production shooter, and he had made a cut-out in factory grips. He claimed it was legal and he had competed with those grips without problems.

I then mailed the question to Eric Grauffel, this is his reply:

"Regarding grips, I had the discussion with Vince.
You can use any grip you like, factory or not but you just cannot modify it..
So adding grip tape it is ok, but removing material to add grip tape is not legal"

The reply from Eric seems to be the one most consistent with the phrasing of paragraph 17.3. However, it seems unfair that it is legal to use aftermarket grips that may fit some better than others, but not modify them to fit an individual shooters hand if the fit is poor. And what exactly is "aftermarket"? How many needs to be sold before it could be called "aftermarket"? Anyone can make grips and sell them...