Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame weights?

aandabooks

How does that SJC attach? I don't see where the tightening screws are located. I'd like to make one out of yellow brass to match the magwell I recently put on the gun.

"slides" on the frame rail and is held in place with set screws from the underside. It overhangs on the front on a G17/22 length guns but looks great on G34/35 guns.

Edited by noexcuses

• 4 weeks later...

FYI:

A very close friend of mine I've been shooting with over the last year (he's a master now) and a guy I've been squadded with at almost every match we've shot in that year had been shooting a Glock 35 up until a month or so ago. He began running a SJC frame weight with thumb rest back in Feb/March. Since then, he began breaking the main trigger pin in his frame with alarming regularity. I mean, like a couple a month. Several times the break resulted in a zeroed stage and/or a subsequently disappointing match result that could have been avoided. He started carrying several pins in his range bag because they broke so much. Myself and an engineer buddy we also shoot with eventually guessed that because the Glock polymer frame is actually designed to flex during it's recoil cycle, the added weight and torque on the frame was resulting in the forces being shifted to that pin. He later stopped running the weight and the problem disappeared.

I wouldn't repeat random hearsay... this is first had stuff I witnessed myself and helped diagnose/fix. Now, he did love the way his Glock shot and performed with the weight in place, so it does have an advantage... but it could be argued that the Glock wasn't designed for a big chunk of aluminum to hang off the front and/or get torqued away on by the shooter. And it begs the question... if you want the advantage of a heavier framed pistol, why not buy a metal-framed pistol? Maybe the weight alone wouldn't have this effect, but in this case he had the thumb rest to go with it so perhaps the issue is related more to that.

Just my two cents. Again, he DID enjoy the way his gun shot with the weight, but it did appear that the broken-pin issue was directly tied to that weight/thumb rest.

FYI:

A very close friend of mine I've been shooting with over the last year (he's a master now) and a guy I've been squadded with at almost every match we've shot in that year had been shooting a Glock 35 up until a month or so ago. He began running a SJC frame weight with thumb rest back in Feb/March. Since then, he began breaking the main trigger pin in his frame with alarming regularity. I mean, like a couple a month. Several times the break resulted in a zeroed stage and/or a subsequently disappointing match result that could have been avoided. He started carrying several pins in his range bag because they broke so much. Myself and an engineer buddy we also shoot with eventually guessed that because the Glock polymer frame is actually designed to flex during it's recoil cycle, the added weight and torque on the frame was resulting in the forces being shifted to that pin. He later stopped running the weight and the problem disappeared.

I wouldn't repeat random hearsay... this is first had stuff I witnessed myself and helped diagnose/fix. Now, he did love the way his Glock shot and performed with the weight in place, so it does have an advantage... but it could be argued that the Glock wasn't designed for a big chunk of aluminum to hang off the front and/or get torqued away on by the shooter. And it begs the question... if you want the advantage of a heavier framed pistol, why not buy a metal-framed pistol? Maybe the weight alone wouldn't have this effect, but in this case he had the thumb rest to go with it so perhaps the issue is related more to that.

Just my two cents. Again, he DID enjoy the way his gun shot with the weight, but it did appear that the broken-pin issue was directly tied to that weight/thumb rest.

I work, train, and compete with Glocks with taclights... I along with my peers have put 100s of 1,000s of rounds through our glocks, and I have only seen one pin break ( That gun was school gun and had 20,000-30,000 rds, pin was changed and went right back to work). It is more common that the barrel fails. The questions I would have: 1.) what gen is it? 2.)what type of guiderod and weight of recoil springs you are running 3.) and lastly are you running OEM pins or ZEV equivalent?

Gen 4, not sure on spring weight but I think he ran a 15lb and stainless guide rod, and stuck with OEM pins for months before trying the Zev pins. By then, he was beginning to think he should stop running it and looking at the STI he now shoots (that he immediately had to send back to the factory for 3 months to make it work, lol) so I can't say for sure if those lasted any longer. That's great you've only seen one of those pins break, but I literally saw them break repeatedly over this year, and as surprising as it may have been my eyes weren't lying. He wasn't running a Tactical light either, he was running a frame weight with a thumb rest... and like I said, I think the torque on the thumbrest probably had more to do with it than the weight. Are the tac lights you run equipped with thumb rests?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk