Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Trigger control or align sights

Fordfan485

Finally ditched my fiber optic front sigh and novak rear that came on my M&P 9 Pro 5" . I put on a Dawson Precision all black front(.180T x.100 W) and rear sight(.245T x .135W). Finally went to the range today to see how it grouped: The results at 5 yards, 7 yards and 15 yards. Low left makes me think the problem is me and not the sights. The pace I was firing at was not fast but it wasn't Bullseye slow fire slow either. On the 15 yard line about halfway thru I had the light bulb go off to use a stronger grip. Was surprised how fast the sights returned when I really clamped down with my support hand. How long should I leave the gun and perfect my trigger control before drifting the sights and/or putting on a different front sight?

post-47582-0-07081300-1449280855_thumb.j

post-47582-0-23313600-1449280864_thumb.j

post-47582-0-77585000-1449281009_thumb.j

post-47582-0-57816800-1449281017_thumb.j

Edited by Fordfan485

• 2 weeks later...

When I really want to blame my sights for being out, I shoot a few groups from a rest. Then I know(really already did, just had to convince myself) that the sights are on and it's me. One note, with a polymer gun you need to rest on your wrists. Resting on the frame will change point of impact with poly pistols.

When I really want to blame my sights for being out, I shoot a few groups from a rest. Then I know(really already did, just had to convince myself) that the sights are on and it's me. One note, with a polymer gun you need to rest on your wrists. Resting on the frame will change point of impact with poly pistols.

Very interesting! I will have to redo mine as I had done the pistol rest and not the wrists and am shooting, invariably low and center. Compensate and aim sights higher and then dead center.

Shooting a Glock 19 and Calls Shots post, may order a smaller front to see if that has an impact.

It's overwhelmingly likely (99%) you are moving the gun before the bullet has left the barrel. If the sights were your only problem, you'd have a nice group in a strange location. At 15 yards, the rounds really shouldn't take up more than a fist or so of space, and that's being kind of generous.

The stronger grip is definitely a great idea, but that helps with recoil management not accuracy. Ultimately the bullet goes where the gun is pointed when the bullet leaves the barrel. Clearly you are pointing the gun in very different places on that 15 yard target.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

When you have an 8" group at 15 yards, you want to try a few things:

1. shoot bullseye slow from a solid rest (if you have a 3" group of 10 shots, then

you can think about adjusting the sights). If the group is still over 3" in size,

then you want to think about ...

2. Your ammo? Try a different brand

3. let somebody else fire the gun and see if they can get a 3" group

4. are your sights loose?

You don't want to adjust the sights until you have a tight group, and you've

decided you'll be using that ammo for a while. :cheers:

if you look up "trigger jerk" in the dictionary you'll see a picture of that target you just posted .... :) your target displays classic trigger jerk for a right -handed shooter ...

A crusher weak hand grip can offset some of that but better to address the actual problem

As Jake says, if it were your sights you'd have a nice tight group but it wouldn't be located in the center of the target (assuming that was your aim point)