Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC gear for newbs

G Kuper

I'm gonna shoot some IPSC matches when they start up this spring. I have 2 guns that are candidates: Browning HiPower andGlock 19. I'd rather shoot the hipower; it points better, better trigger and $20 17rnd mags .

I'm looking for recommendations on a holster and mag pouches...

I don't wanna open carbon fiber rig, but I do want something fast and that will allow me to focus totally on gunhandling as opposed to concealment.

Also, what are good magpouches? I like the idea of those variable angle, belly mount jobs.

Where's a good place to get this stuff?

And finally, shooting either of the guns above, what division would I be in? Would these divisions limit my holster choices?

Thanks all.

Both of your gun shoot at the Minor Power Factor (being 9mm).

Shooting Minor means youi get less points for non-A hits.  That can get pretty tough when you are competiting against the Major Power Factor shooters in Limited or Limted 10 (the difference being the number of rounds allowed in the gun).

The G19 can compete in many divisions, but Production would likely be your best bet.  EVERYONE in Production is scored Minor Power Factor.  

Nope.

U.S. Production division is for guns that don't start with a single-action first shot (Glock, Beretta, Sig, etc.)

All guns in Production score Minor (so, 9mm is not a disadvantage).  Mag capacity is Limted to 10 rounds (so, no expensive mags needed).  Holster are of the NON-race variety (so, no need to drop a hundred  $ or better on a holster)

Your G19 is the ticket.

Start with the glock in production, it has a 10 round limit but you can use your mags. just load 10 rds (you will need about 4 or5. Uncle Mikes makes a ok holster for about 20 bucks, maybe someone can lead you on mag pouches. That way you can start on the cheap then if you really get the bug you can watch what the other folks are useing and save some bucks by getting the right gear as you upgrade your equipment.                             Good shooting      Larry

Use whichever gun you feel most comfortable with as far as reliability and accuracy.  It is always best to be able to complete a course with no misses -- whether you are a new shooter or a seasoned vetran.  The hipower canno be used in production division, but when you are just starting out -- who cares what division you are shooting.

For the adjustable belly mag pouches you are talking about are made by safariland, limcat, USA shooting academy, etc, etc, etc.  You can find them at the various competition shooting retailers.  My favorite is http://www.practicalshooting.com.

For a holster for either gun, I prefer a blade-tech dropped & offset holster.  www.blade-tech.com

good luck.

G,

If you use the HiPower, you'd be in limited or limited 10 (forget the 17 round mags for L10...they'd be OK for Limited, though).  

Neither of those guns is likely to get you to high levels in USPSA competition.  There's no reason you couldn't be a grand master with either one, but it seems that those who win shoot major in Limited, L10, or open, and shoot full sized guns in production (though a G19 isn't too far off the mark there).  So if you think you will become serious about the whole mess, you will eventually buy yourself a new gun especially for it.  

Following that reasoning, don't spend too much money on equipment for the gun you use now.  An Uncle Mike's kydex double mag pouch is something like $8 from Natchez, and a kydex holster is $20.  The twirly mag pouches with ball swivels are $22.95 (I think) each from Brian, and (if I understand correctly) are designed to attach more or less permanently to the outer belt of a competition belt system, that will cost another $50 or so.  The money starts to add up fast in this sport, and you may find that you don't even like mags on your belly in practice, especially if you have to go prone some time.

When I started, I had a cheap paddle holster, one or two leather mag pouches, and I stuck some more mags in my back pocket.  That will work well enough for you to get a couple matches under your belt, see what some other people have, and maybe try some of it out, and form some opinions of what you really want.  A lot of guys at my club have old gear they "grew out of" and usually offer to lend to me or sell to me if I ask about it, and it's cheap and there's nothing wrong with it; it's just not the latest, slickest thing.  

Anyway, save your money for match entry fees and ammunition, because experience and practice will have much greater effect on your accuracy and speed than the difference between Safariland and Uncle Mike's mag pouches ever will.

Have fun, and shoot safely!

DogmaDog

I have plenty of concealment holsters and magpouches. I guess I'll start with them. I've been shooting an informal IDPA type thing this winter, but I'd like to be able to just let the mags hit the floor :).

I was looking for some cool new gear, but it does make sense to use what I have, at least until I figure out why I shouldn't...

Amen brother Flex!

Show up with whatever you've got that you like to shoot.  Shoot for a while, have fun and learn the ropes with it.  Then figure out what you want to do for fancy equipment.

Lots of clubs have a box of random equipment (holsters, mag pouches, etc) that can be borrowed for matches-- ask the match director or club contact before you shoot.

I started out with a Glock 23 and a baggy nylon holster, mags in my pockets. I shot that G23 for 2 years and well into C class.. and that was before they even had Production or Limited-10.

G,

Flex and Shred pretty much nailed it.

Take what you have and go shoot a match. You will find in IPSC that most all the top shooters, club level or otherwise, are very open with advise and help.  

Keep in mind that there are alot of shooting accessories on the market that look "cool" but are severely lacking in the practicality department.  weigh the pro's and con's of everything you consider buying.  I didn't spend $130 for 4 mag carriers, instead I spent $40 on 2 Bianchi holders that each hold 2 magazines.  They serve the SAME purpose and are equally as fast as the high dollar holders.  The only thing I would recommend you not skimp on is the holster, if you want to shoot IPSC and be competitive, you need a good, quality race holster.  Glocks are pretty slim-line and don't have many external items that could snag when drawing from say an Uncle Mikes holster, but those type of holsters typically don't fit well and are very loose.  Fobus makes a good, plastic holster that is very snug, CR Speed makes a good holster for Glocks as well.  Shoot what YOU want to shot, because you might shoot a 9mm doesn't mean you have to shoot production.  If you want to use your high caps and shoot minor, by all means do it.  You've already gotten some great advice from the other guys here and, you'll see very quickly what everyone else uses once you start getting into it.  Welcome to the greatest sport on earth.

Thanks all.

I am currently negotiating the purchase of a slightly souped up Springfield Milspec, which I intend to add some more soup too, depending on how it goes.

Whats the word on the Helweg Limited ride (http://www.hellwegltd.com/)? Seems like a decent price.

The problem is I can't just go. The matches won't start for another coupla/few weeks. Ay yi yi. Time IS money (spent at least).

a while ago i heard several shooters at my club nickname a hellwig holster, a "hell-rig." but personally i have no experience with them.  may i suggest comptac in addition to the other good holsters listed. they look and feel more sturdy than the fobus ones.