Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Up-side down primer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this shows the poor broke student in me.  I pull the bullet, and reuse everything.   You can empty the primer cup and carefully push the upside down primer out, then put it back in right.  Safety glasses on at all times of course.  No warranties express or implied.  Man I'm cheap!

Say wha???? R U nuts???? Don't tell these people that. This is the beginners section and there's always the possibility that somebody will try that. Never screw around with a primer. The pennies involved with saving that primer and brass doesn't compare to an eye, or a finger. I can't believe you even said that....  The smart thing to do would be to put a few drops of oil in the primer (neutralizes the compound) and throw it away.

Maybe nuts, I've been called worse,  that's what 7 years of schoolin' will do for you!  I will clarify that I don't recommend it to anyone, but Kyle asked and I admit I have done it several times.  I'm not saying it is right or the best thing to do.  I wear safety glasses as I always do at the press, and I use my Dillon 550B to slowly and carefully decap the upside down primer.  Then I handle it like any other live primer, carefully.  I respect, but do not fear.  I think I will be alright.   I am a perpetual beginner and am here to learn from anyone and everyone.  Thanks for your opinion and concern.

DB,

You have more balls than brains! That is a disaster waiting to happen. A primer costs about 1.4 cents and a case is about 5-10 cents. A finger or your eye sight should be worth a hell of a lot more. Look at it this way you will lose more brass at a typical match than a reloading screw up. It aint worth it! Like Dan said there are a lot of new guys here that might try something like that. If you insist on doing something that stupid please don't post it here. I don't want to see someone get hurt!

DB, more balls than brains, that's a hell of a compliment where I work!  Like Pappy always said, "Son just mash the throttle down and go 'till ya see blood or smell s#!t!"   But, I gotta admit, Chriss and Dan are correct, we really shouldn't post potentially dangerous things on the forum pages.  However, if you want to contact me privately I may let you have the mercury fulminate recipe that's been in the family since my forefathers fought The War of Northern Aggression.  (Just kidding............maybe) :)    

Easy on DB guys, I think he got the point. Yes its not the smartest thing but i'll bet he won't do it again . I think it's better that guys do post things like this as we can learn from them. Your responses adequetly make the point why NOT to do this. Better to admit when we do something wrong and learn from it than to go on blindly . This should be an open forum to discuss the good and bad.

Best just to let it go DB, a loaded round, even with new match components is only worth less than a quarter. Toss it and go on.

Pat

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 3:17 am on July 25, 2001)

Flexmoney,

as a chemist by training I am always amused by the *neutralize with oil* trick. Depending on manufacturer, you are dealing with heavy-metal salts like lead azide, and they do not *at all* dissolve in oil. I have left primers in WD40 for several months, then loaded them up and didn't have a single malfunction (were Federals....).

--Detlef

Detlef, I had always heard the oil on primers thing too! This brings up an interesting question.  If not oil, just what will render a primer inert?   By submerging your primers in WD 40 for a long time and then firing them, you have debunked a very popular myth!   There seems to be no end to the cool knowledge here.  

Ron,

BTDT! We share a range with a local PD, some NASA employee did the same thing! We were shooting and the bugs were really bad so they lit the barrel to burn targets and chase the bugs. About 2 minutes later WW3 broke out. Talk about the oh shit factor! Now I leave all the targets for the locals to burn!