Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

changes to my ultrasonic cleaning

biglou13

i used to follow

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

im experimenting with 16 minutes ultrasound with 50% white vinegar

followed by overnight soak in dilute citric acid solution in 5 gal bucket no ultrasound ( see passivation)

rinse well

distilled water soak

dry

what do you think?

ive run the above a few times clean and as shiny if not more than before with added passivation. no issues yet.....

Edited by biglou13

• 2 weeks later...

I have used a hot water bath with citric acid. The hotter the better. Dump the brass and water from bucket to bucket 5 or 6 times over a 5 minute period, or longer depending upon the condition of the brass, by then the water is blue and the brass is clean. Strain off the water and rinse the brass in water with baking soda to neutralize the acid. Dry. Works great.

Some brass may turn slightly pink but it never caused me a problem. If you don't deprime before cleaning you may need to do so without waiting too long. I have had several primers which had the primer caps punched off when reloading.

That brass came from an outdoor range and some had been outdoors in the elements for a long time which may have been the root cause of the primer cap issue.

I can clean 2 full 7 gallon buckets of brass in about an hour.

It won't make it look like new brass without polishing but that "new" look is just so it's aesthetically pleasing and not worth the effort....to me.

Minimal would be my guess.

That's what I thought.

By the time it becomes an issue .... That brass will be long gone from my hands.....

I'm not doubting the the science.

After seeing how well citric acid works considering the bucket only method. I only see pink only highly tarnished bass. If too much it gets culled!