Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lowering the cost of shooting an AR 308

Scottie

I really enjoy shooting 308, but would like to reduce the cost of shooting local short range matches. I was curious if anyone has insight on loads with reduced powder charges and relatively inexpensive projectiles that will still function the gun reliably. By short range, I mean most targets inside 30 m with a few at a max of ~200 m.

Looking at my spreadsheet for possible 308 loads, I'm seeing that case (once fired LC) and powder costs are very close to equal. Then the bullet is what bites you. On powder, I suppose you can look for minimum loads that use the cheapest amount & type of powder. However, I'll go out on a limb and say that any economies there would be small. I'll focus on bullets from here on.

Powder Valley shows that Hornady 150 grain FMJ-BT in 308 can be had for approximately 17.8 cents each. Not sure how to get much lower than that on a consistent basis. From Midway, you could get 110 grain 30 cal carbine round nose FMJ for 16 cents each. Powder Valley has the same for 15 cents each (not currently in stock). I don't know if those would work well for everyone's rifle.

Sticking with the 150 FMJ, it looks like one could get down to about 45 cents per round if you can't reuse brass. If you can reuse then the non-brass costs would be in the low 30s for however many rounds you can make the cases survive.

I hope that some of this was helpful. If not, my apologies.

Thanks for the info! It was exactly what I was looking for. Great video Rich! Would you be willing to share load data or is it something you would prefer to keep to yourself? The reason I ask is I currently use IMR 8208 XBR, which I believe is sitting on your bench in the video.

So I currently use the Sierra 155 tmk and the 110 fmj's. I throw about 42.5gr 8208 and then trickle up to 43.2 for my 155gr load. For the 110's I just leave it at 42.5. With such a light bullet there is a wide window for reliable operation with a variety of powders.

Before I ran out, I was using Reloder 7, which is a very fast powder for 308. Think I was using 38gr of that but was able to operate the rifle down to 35gr...just barely though.

This is really good information. Saving 6-7 grains of powder using Reloader 7 and using bullets that are less that 10 cents should lead to substantial savings over the course of a year. Thanks for the recipe using 8208 as well, because I already have that on hand. What is your OAL using 110 grain M1 carbine projectiles?

The oal for the 110s was just under 2.400". But shorter is fine too. That just happens to be the oal I get with my seating die set for the 155 tmk's, just makes it easier to not make die changes every time I change projectiles.

A cheaper .30 cal bullet will save you some $$$, but you still have to make Power Factor if you are shooting HM, so powder usage is likely to be unchanged, or even increased if you drop the bullet weight. Brass and primer are a wash of course.

Edited by StealthyBlagga