Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 short colt reloading

Springer

I have search this topic and gained a lot of knowledge but also some questions have arisen.

Correct me if mistaken but I will need a 38 special sizing die, 9mm powder and seating/taper crimp die. Brand recommendation for single stage press.

Here is where I am confused, what size bullets are used. I have seen anywhere between .355-.357 mentioned. I plan to use Berry's or Montana Gold bullets.

Please let me know as my 627 should be done next week and I need to order what's needed asap.

^^^ what he said. If you are gonna use Montana Gold bullets, I'd recommend trying the 142 gr. fmj. They drop into the cylinder nicely which makes for a faster reload. If you want to try some coated lead bullets, I'd go with the SNS Casting 160 gr. RN. They also drop in easily.

For Short Colts on a 650xl I use

Purple case adapter

1 Lee 38 special U die

2 F funnel (9mm/38Super)

3 Beep-Beep Powder Alarm

4 Lee Seat Die backed out enough to not crimp

5 Lee 38special FCD with 9mm FCD taper insert. This allows the taper crimp with the base of the case sized.

There are many working options available. My only advice is, if you use a FCD learn how it works and what it does. Do not abuse the FCD. The FCD will swage the bullet diameter. It is a plus for base sizing. #RespectTheFCD

My set came with a 38 S&W crimp die with a roll crimp. I use the Lee FCD in 38/357 with a spacer to hold the roll crimp down in the die.

That's what I did ... I use the regular Lee short/long 3 die set and added a 38/357 FCD ... just adding a spacer on top of the crimping sleeve so it would reach.

If you buy a 38/357 FCD you can also pickup just the 9mm crimping sleeve for $3 and use that as the spacer on top of the 38/357 sleeve ... or vice/versa ... to experiment and see what you prefer (saves buying another whole FCD just to get the sleeve out of it).

http://leeprecision.com/crimp-sleeve-9mm.html (available other places too ... just an example).