Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI Ultimate Light Speed Buffer spring vs. JP Tuned and Polished Buffe

HeyChris

One is reduced power and one is extra power, however both claim to assist with soft shooting, quick follow up shots.... especially when paired with a JP LMOS.

Can someone help me better understand the difference between the two and how one would determine which would be best to use in their rifle. Other than trial and error? If that makes sense.

Or point me to a resource that better explains how they affect a rifles performance.

Thanks!

I think I started an identical thread a while back, didn't get much in the way of solid answers just the standard " try them all". I tested the two and got occasional short strokes with the JP and couldn't get it to lock on empty with a fixed gas system. Performance wise, the JP felt a little softer and had maybe a hair less muzzle rise, but the TTI had less muzzle dip on the bolts return to battery. I preferred the TTI performance and it had the reliability advantage in my setup. All this has since gone out the window as I'm now running a carbine buffer tube and everything else in my system has changed. This also probably does you no good at all because your stance and load (both of which are likely different than mine) have a huge effect on your perception of which spring is best for you.

My understanding is just enough gas power to lock open on an empty magazine, just enough spring to strip rounds off a loaded magazine, and the smallest reciprocating mass possible. Get it to where it's working in all weather conditions, feels good when you shoot, and then don't worry about it too much.

I think I started an identical thread a while back, didn't get much in the way of solid answers just the standard " try them all". I tested the two and got occasional short strokes with the JP and couldn't get it to lock on empty with a fixed gas system. Performance wise, the JP felt a little softer and had maybe a hair less muzzle rise, but the TTI had less muzzle dip on the bolts return to battery. I preferred the TTI performance and it had the reliability advantage in my setup. All this has since gone out the window as I'm now running a carbine buffer tube and everything else in my system has changed. This also probably does you no good at all because your stance and load (both of which are likely different than mine) have a huge effect on your perception of which spring is best for you.

Yeah, I think I found your thread.. or we were actually in the same thread awhile ago.. Taccom low recoil? I've recently found out I had a gas leak on my adjustable gas block, I've fixed and now can run the JP buffer spring when in the past I couldn't. So I've actually got one of the TTI springs and the JP. So I can certainly test them both, but I'm trying to grasp how the different strength of the springs impacts the movements of the bolt and what not.

Been a long day, maybe I'm making this more confusing than need be.

Chasing the rabbit too far down the soft shooting hole may not be the best option when looking at overall performance. But what do I know, it's nearly 2 AM and I have been drinking. Make sure you have enough gas to cycle even when dirty, cold, or you end up having to shoot a slightly different ammo. Also enough spring for the same circumstances. Sucks to go all bolt action when the Parma dust flies. Unless you are shooting trooper, or limited, then tune those fer's right to the ragged edge.

I found some words that are not allowed! Yippie!

Edited by Stlhead

Both Tony and Steely have given the best answers to this that so far can be given. I really loves me the TTI spring in most my carbines....BUT.....they don't tend to work with the aluminum carrier J.P. gave me a while back. There isn't enough mass/inertia to consistently close the bolt. In that gun I run more gas and the J.P. spring.

With that said THE SOFTEST recoiling gun I own is a cheap P.O.S. Bushmaster 20" iron sight gun with a J,P. Stainless bolt and full on gas from a factory A2 gas block that had the sight tower cut off with a hack saw and what ever spring came in the Bushmaster lower (A2) and a Triangle Shooting Sports Rolling thunder comp!. It is the gun I take over seas as I would just hate to have My CTR-02 NOT sow up on the baggage carrousel!

BTW both win, but the recoil impulse is different in each....so like Steely said....Don't worry, be happy!

I guess you really do just need to shoot the gun and get a feel for what works better.

My setup. Nordic 18", SLR Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas, JP LMOS, Taccom Carbine Recoil system. Both the TTI and the JP Buffer springs locked the bolt back (consistently) at 8 turns from close on the gas block, shooting American Eagle 55gr .223. Previously I was running the block all the way open 15 turns with a stock carbine spring and neither the JP or TTI would run.

Today after shooting the JP Buffer, the TTI did feel slightly softer, however I have an Armalite Tunable brake on the rifle that was tuned before I fixed the leak with the gas block and when I was using the stock spring. So I'll need to re-tune the brake this weekend with the TTI spring installed to see how much more I can settle the sights.

I can already see a huge improvement in how the rifle shoots/feels, it shoots much flatter. And I'm kicking myself for having not double checked the gas block sooner, I could have sworn it was aligned properly. So I've been shooting it out of whack for over a year like an idiot, under the impression that was the best performance I could get from the setup. Lesson learned.

Thanks everyone so much for the feedback and patience with my questions. I'll report back after the brake is tuned.