Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

School me on shotgun fit and proper cheek weld

obsessiveshooter

I shot my recently bought 870 pump for the first time yesterday. Today I have swollen discolored cheek from 100 punches to the cheekbone from my stock. For me to look down the rib, I need a pretty tight cheek weld. What am I doing wrong? Is there mods I need to make? Btw, my lop needs to be extended a bunch as well. I've got wide shoulders and very long arms.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If you are over 6' 2" foot and think you need a longer LOP that will effectively drop the comb.

Magpul makes a stock that has some adjustment elements.

I write the articles to help you know what to do.

Here is another dimension of fit I find confusing. Some say bring the gun to the shoulder, put it in the shoulder pocket. Others say that creates a rotational force around the long axis of the body that might tend to make the gun swing to the right with firing. To moderate or reduce this rotational factor, they recommend moving the contact a little medially more onto the outside half of the pectoral, so the recoil impulse is closer to the body midline with a reduced rotational component. The pectoral folks argue their location also puts the full end of the stock, from heel to toe against a solid surface that may also reduce upward or downward recoil seen if it would braced mainly at toe or heel................Moving the point where the gun actually rests against the body would likely change the effective length of pull as well as optimal pitch, cant, comb height, etc. What's your view on this Patrick? Should I shoulder pocket the shotgun or put it against the lateral half of the pectoral muscle? Thanks in advance and also thanks for your clearly written PDF.

Don't overthink this...

If you apply force off the centerline, the movement will pivot on the centerline.

If you stick the butt of the gun in the center of your sternum the muzzle will not move

left or right, but DAMN it is hard to shoot a 3 gun stage like that!

For our uses, just use the pocket.

To some extent, physiology plays into this. A guy who bench-presses 300 will probably find that when he reaches forward to grab the grip, his pectoral effectively fills the "pocket" and it disappears. Same with a guy who is roly-poly. Add the two together (well, I USED to bench 300. Shut up already!) and there really isn't a pocket at all. My normal shotgun hold has become the crease where the pectoral goes under the arm, on the front of the deltoid, because it is the only place I can consistently mount the gun the same every time. This is about 1-1/2" further outboard of where the stock would be if I had the "pocket" that skinny guys who don't power lift have. It is hard to write universal rules of fit that apply equally to a basketball player, a rugby player, and a 'call of duty' player. Pat has done an admirable job, but of course somebody out there can prove themselves the exception to the rules of proper fit. Humans just vary too much from the ideal form.

Did you have a picture or 2 of your mount? It is hard to tell without seeing the mount. One thing that can help it is to loosen the top screw of the recoil pad. Insert some cardboard from the box between to pad and the stock on the top only. Way this helps is it allows the pad to be even on shoulder. If it is touching the bottom of the pad and not as much on the top the gun pivots up on recoil and hits you in the face. The picture tells a lot. Crowding the shotgun can cause that too and is usually from someone who shoots a rifle nose charging handle who try's to shoot it like a rifle