Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips for Accu Shadow

Just4FunLP

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the mixed reviews, I've ordered a set of the cooper grips for my 75. Will update when they arrive and I have a chance to try them out.

Got the grips in today. Pros and cons.

They are definitely thinner than the factory rubber grips, think factory plastic or VZ with a palm swell. Other issue is that they are seemingly fragile and the hole for installation doesn't line up perfectly. I was afraid I was going to cross thread a grip screw or break the grip getting them on. They also do have a bit of over hang at the bottom rear of the grip by the mainspring plug.

That being said, they are very grippy, to the point of almost velcroing themselves to the inside of my pistol rug. I also actually don't mind them being thinner than the rubber grips, mainly due to the palm swell. There is still enough real estate to get my support hand on the gun. I think I'll like them, with the upside of really really liking them. They are ridiculously light and would probably be ideal for those that have interest in trying to get an 85c to make weight for carry optics.

I'm not sure how well they'll stand up to going on and off the gun repeatedly, but all in all I'm happy with them at the price point (at least initially). I'll report back after I've had more time to train with them.

I know the OP has resolved his issue but thought I'd give some feedback. I tried the Scales grips also. They have a great shape, even for somebody with small hands (thin, short fingers). The main problem that has me doubting them is the way my strong hand finger tips get crushed on the edge of the holes by my support hand. If they were a different texture (and maybe had a tiny palm swell), they would be perfect, because the shape really is nice.

For comparison, I have:

- rubber grips

- thin aluminum grips

- VZ diamondbacks

- Scales

I just got the Scales today and went out and shot a few hundred rounds changing grips. I'll probably go out tomorrow again and see if I can decide which I'm going to stick with.

As it happens I made it to the range today with the CZ Scales for the first time too. It was far from a competition setting with no sweat in the combo, so time will still tell. But I was surprised at the grip they impart without actually feeling aggressive. In fact I was kind of afraid because they don't feel that aggressive as you grip the gun.

So these are definitely staying on the gun. I probably won't bother to tinker with any other options until these disappoint me. And that's not likely to be before the summer season hits.

Despite the mixed reviews, I've ordered a set of the cooper grips for my 75. Will update when they arrive and I have a chance to try them out.

They are definitely thinner than the factory rubber grips, think factory plastic or VZ with a palm swell. Other issue is that they are seemingly fragile and the hole for installation doesn't line up perfectly. I was afraid I was going to cross thread a grip screw or break the grip getting them on. They also do have a bit of over hang at the bottom rear of the grip by the mainspring plug.

That being said, they are very grippy, to the point of almost velcroing themselves to the inside of my pistol rug. I also actually don't mind them being thinner than the rubber grips, mainly due to the palm swell. There is still enough real estate to get my support hand on the gun. I think I'll like them, with the upside of really really liking them. They are ridiculously light and would probably be ideal for those that have interest in trying to get an 85c to make weight for carry optics.

I'm not sure how well they'll stand up to going on and off the gun repeatedly, but all in all I'm happy with them at the price point (at least initially). I'll report back after I've had more time to train with them.

I use the copper for uspsa, and put the rubbers back on for the remainder of the time. I've taken one set of literally hundreds of times. As long as you are careful and know how to properly start a screw, they are fine.

The older I get, the more I realize most people that give negative reviews (technical wise), are just plain incompetent. No throwing this your way, just making a off-note comment about some of the things I've read on Amazon and the like about bad products. lol

I know the OP has resolved his issue but thought I'd give some feedback. I tried the Scales grips also. They have a great shape, even for somebody with small hands (thin, short fingers). The main problem that has me doubting them is the way my strong hand finger tips get crushed on the edge of the holes by my support hand. If they were a different texture (and maybe had a tiny palm swell), they would be perfect, because the shape really is nice.

For comparison, I have:

- rubber grips

- thin aluminum grips

- VZ diamondbacks

- Scales

I just got the Scales today and went out and shot a few hundred rounds changing grips. I'll probably go out tomorrow again and see if I can decide which I'm going to stick with.

rpacker: let me know if you decide you don't like the CZ Scales. I will buy them as I'm looking for a pair for my backup SP01. Thx, JR

I use the copper for uspsa, and put the rubbers back on for the remainder of the time. I've taken one set of literally hundreds of times. As long as you are careful and know how to properly start a screw, they are fine.

The older I get, the more I realize most people that give negative reviews (technical wise), are just plain incompetent. No throwing this your way, just making a off-note comment about some of the things I've read on Amazon and the like about bad products. lol

Well I had to pull them off today as I somehow managed to mess up my mag brake during a reload. So one time down... And an order for a stainless mah brake to follow. I do like them. Will give it a couple matches and more practice before ordering a set for my backup gun.

Edited by tha1000

As it happens I made it to the range today with the CZ Scales for the first time too. It was far from a competition setting with no sweat in the combo, so time will still tell. But I was surprised at the grip they impart without actually feeling aggressive. In fact I was kind of afraid because they don't feel that aggressive as you grip the gun.

So these are definitely staying on the gun. I probably won't bother to tinker with any other options until these disappoint me. And that's not likely to be before the summer season hits.

This mirrors my experience with the scales grips. They don't feel grippy but the gun doesn't move around in my hands. There is a surprising amount of grip. I was initially disappointed, but gave them a second try and ended up ordering a second set for my backup gun.

I still wish they were the same thickness all the way to the top of the grip. I have long fingers so reaching the mag release (standard SP-01 not shadow extended release) and trigger are not an issue for me so I would like more meat at the top for my left hand to grip.other than that I'm happy.

They are the best all around grip I've tried for the CZ.

• 2 weeks later...

The scales are the grips I want to like the most.. but just can't. The feel in one hand is amazing, I love the taper. I agree they also provide a decent amount of grip. Not sure why but my follow up shots are never as good, plus at times I crush my strong hand finger tips on the edge of the holes. I'm going to try to either send them back of sell them. The red is really nice looking though, best color I've seen so far on grips.

I also tried out some Copper Guns grips. They are my favorite so far. At first I thought being so small that I would hate them, but after shooting with them I really like them. The palm swell works great with the grippy material. They're also crazy light (0.8 ounces), which I thought would detract from them, but I can't tell any difference when shooting. I saw some comments about them being fragile. I've had them on/off probably five times so far, going through my 'test every grip' phase and had no issues. They are a bit flimsy, I can lift up the edge (which overhangs the magwell slightly), with a fingernail so a stronger material might be nicer, but so far they work well.

I think I'll be selling the VZ's and the Scales.

The scales are the grips I want to like the most.. but just can't. The feel in one hand is amazing, I love the taper. I agree they also provide a decent amount of grip. Not sure why but my follow up shots are never as good, plus at times I crush my strong hand finger tips on the edge of the holes. I'm going to try to either send them back of sell them. The red is really nice looking though, best color I've seen so far on grips.

I also tried out some Copper Guns grips. They are my favorite so far. At first I thought being so small that I would hate them, but after shooting with them I really like them. The palm swell works great with the grippy material. They're also crazy light (0.8 ounces), which I thought would detract from them, but I can't tell any difference when shooting. I saw some comments about them being fragile. I've had them on/off probably five times so far, going through my 'test every grip' phase and had no issues. They are a bit flimsy, I can lift up the edge (which overhangs the magwell slightly), with a fingernail so a stronger material might be nicer, but so far they work well.

See, I'm trying to tell you guys; go out and shoot with the Copper grips and I guarantee you'll like them. They're not that fragile, just don't handle them like a gorilla and they'll last just fine.

See, I'm trying to tell you guys; go out and shoot with the Copper grips and I guarantee you'll like them. They're not that fragile, just don't handle them like a gorilla and they'll last just fine.

i'm at least 3/4 gorilla though... but I do like them and the price is right.

What kind of guarantee you offering?

I tried them and I didn't like them at all. Very cheap, low density plastic makes your gun feel like a Fischer Price toy. I've seen better polymer used on airsoft guns.

They seem to be casted by pouring a 2 part resin.

Edited by d_striker

What kind of guarantee you offering?

I tried them and I didn't like them at all. Very cheap, low density plastic makes your gun feel like a Fischer Price toy. I've seen better polymer used on airsoft guns.

They seem to be casted by pouring a 2 part resin.

Well, seeing as you like to judge a product a priori, none. It's not that they are cheap, they are made to be lightweight. I've never heard anyone say they make their gun feel like a plastic toy, but you're entitled to your opinion. The only thing I worry about in competition is GRIP, and making weight. This serves both purposes, for a great price. What other grips have as much "tack" as the coppers? The first couple times I used them for USPSA, I had a rash on my baby hands, they worked so well.

I have zero invested interest in this company, other than letting you fellow CZ owners know about another available grip. That actually works.

Sorry they didn't work for you, much luck in finding a replacement.

Well, seeing as you like to judge a product a priori, none. It's not that they are cheap, they are made to be lightweight. I've never heard anyone say they make their gun feel like a plastic toy, but you're entitled to your opinion. The only thing I worry about in competition is GRIP, and making weight. This serves both purposes, for a great price. What other grips have as much "tack" as the coppers? The first couple times I used them for USPSA, I had a rash on my baby hands, they worked so well.

I have zero invested interest in this company, other than letting you fellow CZ owners know about another available grip. That actually works.

I'm judging the product based on my personal experience with it so I don't know why you would use that term. With my background at a manufacturing company that did a lot of injection molding and tool making, I always like to look at how parts are made. These grips are not injection molded which leads me to believe that they are cast. Maybe that's what you're referring to. In any case, the fact that it's a very lightweight, low density, brittle polymer is not speculation or theory. It's a fact.

As far as hearing someone saying it makes their gun feel like a cheap toy; you just did.

I gave them a fair shot and determined they're not for me. I run a CZC thin aluminum on one side and a rubber on the left. Two different SP01 Shadows came in at 40oz so I don't have any issue with making weight.

You seem to have your feelings hurt about me speaking about these grips. Are you sure you're not affiliated with them?

Edited by d_striker

I'm judging the product based on my personal experience with it so I don't know why you would use that term. With my background at a manufacturing company that did a lot of injection molding and tool making, I always like to look at how parts are made. These grips are not injection molded which leads me to believe that they are cast. Maybe that's what you're referring to. In any case, the fact that it's a very lightweight, low density, brittle polymer is not speculation or theory. It's a fact.

As far as hearing someone saying it makes their gun feel like a cheap toy; you just did.

I gave them a fair shot and determined they're not for me. I run a CZC thin aluminum on one side and a rubber on the left. Two different SP01 Shadows came in at 40oz so I don't have any issue with making weight.

You seem to have your feelings hurt about me speaking about these grips. Are you sure you're not affiliated with them?

lol, I don't care if you wrap your grips in ace bandages; saying the coppers make your gun feel like a toy makes no sense.