Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropped holster or regular for better/faster draw? Opinions?

Vincerama

Well, I'm going to try a BOSS. I have problems with my right wrist. I'm lucky I can use it all, but it doesn't like bending certain ways. I'm presently using a Blackhawk and to use it I've got to have the holster muzzle forward and I'm drawing up into my armpit. The wrist doesn't like that at all but it likes it vertical or muzzle to the rear even less. That's the pits for draw speed, but it's all my wrist can do. I think lowering the holster might allow me to have the holster more to the vertical AND make my wrist happy. Even if it just gets me out of my armpit it would be a plus as the angle would be less acute and more to the liking of my wrist.

Another vote for the BOSS hanger , I love the adjustability and versatility . I also have the Red Hill Tactical RHT and I like that one too , a little less adjustability but more simplistic and it's machined by Springer Precision so what's not to like !

I think the doh really shine for people with long arms and short torsos. Otherwise they would be drawing into their armpit. If you need to cant your upper body to clear the holster (and it isn't a technique issue), then the drop is going to benefit you.

This this this. Very correct. The entire drop vs no drop thing is gonna vary from person to person.

I have a short torso and fairly long arms. I hate having to draw my single stack with the correct rules. My magwell literally touches my bicep when my hands are at my sides when following the ridiculous SS holster height rules. For my body type, I have much faster and relaxed draw with a a DOH. My magwell hits my forearm. Much better than having it rest at my bicep.

I am a big fan of the BOSS.

I thought of this thread over the weekend, since i shot 2 matches with the same stages over the weekend. Saturday was limited (DOH holster), and after only 2 days of dryfire, it was still pretty awkward for me to grip the gun quickly in the holster, and it felt like it took all day to get it up to eye level. Sunday was back to SS and belt-level holster, and happiness ensued again. I think i'm going to move my limited holster higher. I am tallish and average or slightly long torso and pretty flexible fwiw, and have no trouble with the SS holster position.

I got my BOSS and Bladetech today and my initial reaction was that it's going to work quite a bit better than my previous Blackkawk "in the armpit" draw for my less than normal flexibility wrist. Very nicely made unit BTW. Initially I thought it was plastic (delrin?), but it's anodized aluminum. 100% satisfied with Ben Stoeger items. (BOSS and Ghost mag holders)