Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poorly adjusted popper gets shot down.

Ty Hamby

Here is my take on this post. The shooter decided to keep shooting the popper and it finally went down. The shooter proceeded to finish the stage. At that point the stage is over and no decision on a reshoot needs to be made. Issue over.

Now from the Monday morning quarterback viewpoint.......The RM, CRO, and any RO's that ran the stage SHOULD have made sure that any popper that they KNEW were not properly calibrated was properly ready for the shooters coming to the stage. Until the shooter was told that the problem with the popper was already known by the RO and RM, there was no known issue to the shooter of the failure of either to handle a pre-existing problem. With what the shooter knew at the beginning of the stage engagement, the shooter made their decision to shoot the popper down. Thus the shooter intentionally acted to negate their opportunity to reshoot the stage by shooting the popper until it went down. If the shooter knew that they were striking the popper in the "calibration zone", then they had enough information to decide to complete the stage and then call for calibration check.

those are all reasonable points, but if it's clear to the RO's and RM that the popper is screwed up, it's still ok to admit that, fix it , and give a reshoot instead of screwing someone over for an RO mistake. IMHO, the rules should never be used as an excuse to screw someone over for poor stage setup/maintenance or poor RO performance.

I agree. I've always told ROs and CROs to manage their steel -- and that if they need to adjust a popper I want to come calibrate it, so we can be sure it falls. If I got such a request, I'd generally ask the CRO "how sure are you that it's still properly set?" If he tells me that he's confident it's still fine, maybe I turn down the pre-attempt calibration. On the other hand I'm there, I've got a gun and ammo -- and what do we have to lose by saying "yes?"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in favor of maintaining the steel throughout a match. Like Moto said, I don't want to use the rulebook to beat shooters over the head.

The incident I was relating had the steel so far away it made sense from a HF standpoint to throw a few quick shots at them (3 poppers) and move on, if done quickly enough. I denied requests for challenges when there was no hit in an effort to keep the match running. Hell, I would have had to camp out in that bay otherwise.

I'm in favor of maintaining the steel throughout a match. Like Moto said, I don't want to use the rulebook to beat shooters over the head.

The incident I was relating had the steel so far away it made sense from a HF standpoint to throw a few quick shots at them (3 poppers) and move on, if done quickly enough. I denied requests for challenges when there was no hit in an effort to keep the match running. Hell, I would have had to camp out in that bay otherwise.

And that's exactly what you're supposed to do when there's no evidence of a hit.....