Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DUST COVER EXTENSION

Hey people

Just had a thought, maybe you've seen this done somewhere...

Since the appeal of an extended dust cover seems to me more weight up front, leading to more controllable muzzle flip, what's preventing someone from having a dust cover extension welded onto their regular frame?

Maybe even in a tungstenoid metal so it's a little heavier?

I already asked the people over at Dawson Precision, haven't got a reply just yet. Thought there may be somebody out there in the Enosverse who has already done this.

I'll answer that now..Read the rules, modification of the frame for advantage is not allowed. Appendix E - Divisions _ Standard -  line f) External modifications such as weights or devices to control or reduce recoil are specifically not allowed. This means if the frame is manufactured heavy it is ok, but you cannot add weight to say a Para frame. Jamie Craig from Craig custom tried it once and got bumped to open for his effort, and at the limited Nationals that more or less means no score.

Pat

If made by the factory this way it's o.k. provided it meets the amount manuf. rule. but welding is out.

What I'd like to see on a stock gun is a non ported hybrid barrel. In other words one with the raised portion of the barrel required for hybrid porting, but left blank only with the front site mounted. It meets the rules for no ports but with a front sight that doesn't reciprocate with the slide. It would be like shooting one of the old supers with the comp mounted. Easier sight tracking.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Pat,

A year or two ago I shot a stock blaster like you described. At the time, I thought it was going to be the shit - what we'd all been waiting for; however, I was disappointed. The huge gain in site tracking I was expecting just wasn't a reality. In fact, without some redesigning of the barrel/site relationship (you have to have a short little front site on a hybrid barrel), it was actually worse. I used to think that the site on the comp was really cool (in the day), but maybe I've just learned to see better? because I feel I can see my front site all the time - if I'm looking at it. And also, I only see the sites tracking (the way they are now), but on the hybird, the lump of barrel that was noticeable bouncing around on the bottom of the site was a bit annoying. It's probably just that I'm just used to seeing what I see - my eyes have learned to ignore anything 'annoying' on my current setup. ??

be

• 2 months later...

AHH if you will ask a gunsmith to do it he would. Now take here in my country, someone welded a para ordnance to get the full dustcover. And when he was about to shoot in a match his gun was classified as a modified division gun. To make a long story short, he had it re cut to normal proportions.

JB

I think you are buying stuff you don't need in Lim-10 in the TRP Operator. The Trophy Match would be better IMO. The only reason I would choose the Trophy Match over the Loaded model is the sights. I hate Novaks. I bought a Loaded Model used for a real good price and it cost $300 to get rid of the Novaks and have Bomars put on it.

I have seen the Mil-spec operator for about 545.00 dollars on the internet.  They go for about the same as a Mil-Spec standard 45.   From what I ve read about the test reports the full profile slide for  45 at the velocities we shoot in IPSC might too heavy.   Maybe a slide with stirr up cuts like Brian uses on his 40 with the full dust cover.  Get the idea!  But then again you might be able to use a lighter recoil spring  around 13,12lb.  I think it might be good.    

Any thoughts.    thanks