Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Least expensive way to give my SP-01 Tactical a decent trigger?

LeviSS

I'm looking for some cheaper parts/things to do to get a decent trigger on this gun.

I just want a DA that won't cause carpal tunnel and the SA could be a little less creepy.

Options?

Edited by LeviSS

Cheapest solution is to polish all the surfaces that rub against each other and drop in a 13# mainspring. You might be able to get away with an 11.5# mainspring as well.

Both CZ Custom and CGW make replacement hammers with different hook angles and smaller engagement surfaces. That will help with the creep.

Edited by Andreas

The mainspring (hammer spring?) only affects the DA, correct? And you have to replace the striker spring with a reduced power spring when you change the hammer spring, right? What about extended firing pin?

Or is it only when you go below 13#?

And...

The recoil spring is only dependent on your load, right? It doesn't work with/against any other springs like a Glock?

Edited by LeviSS

Cheapest:

Polish internals

13# hammer spring

next level:

Polish internals

11.5# hammer spring

extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring (need this when you go below 13# hammer spring)

Reduced power trigger return spring

Best option:

Polish internals

11.5# hammer spring (or 8.5# and federals only)

extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring

Reduced power trigger return spring

CZC Comp Hammer

CGQ adjustible sear

Go with the 'next level' option above. Hold off on the Hammer and Sear if you're on a budget.

Polish Internals - Free

11.5 Hammer spring - $7

Extended Firing Pin and spring - $25

Reduced power trigger return spring - $7

Recoil spring of choice (most go with 11#) - $6

Total is $45 + shipping. Best bang for the buck.

Thanks. That's the way I was leaning.

I'm just trying to tune it up a little so I can train with it for a month or so and see if the switch to it from Glock is something I want to pursue.

Can the hammer spring be replaced by just punching out the bottom pin? Or does the sear cage and all that have to come out?

It looks like basically all the internals have to come out to get to the trigger return spring. Is that right? I'm not really wanting to tear this thing apart any further than I have to. Does it make much difference?

Edited by LeviSS

The hammer spring requires removal of grips, mag brake & hammer spring plug - simple and easy. I would suggest polishing up the hammer strut in the area of the spring as best you can during this process . A little lithium grease on that area before installing the spring helps with friction as well.

The trigger return spring can be changed without tearing the guts out . CGW's floating trigger pin helps here.

I'd do a lot of double action and single action dry fire before tearing it apart to polish.

Edited by rhart123

The trigger return spring can be changed without tearing the guts out . CGW's floating trigger pin helps here.

Does it just require punching the trigger pin out and wiggling the trigger and trigger bar out?

Thank you. I'm gonna order the parts in the next couple days.

It seems like a lot of things affect the DA pull. What parts contribute to the SA pull? Is it basically the trigger return spring, safety plunger spring and drag on the sear? The disconnector, sear, and hammer control the length of take-up and reset, correct?

Sorry for all the questions.. I appreciate the responses.

The hammer spring is king in lowering d/a... Super ez upgrade. Spring alone can drop d/a weight by 50% or more approx 13 ish pounds to 6 ish # With one part.

My first mod was hammer spring. Then a few days later firing pin stop, extended firing pin, firing pin spring, firing pin block lifter spring. ( ultra lite Kit)

The extended firing pin improves primer ignition. But doesn't affect D/A. Pull weight or feel... Since you effectively decrease force of firing pin hitting primer.

For single action, The hammer is king here. Many here will disagree but changing sear really isn't necessary. The after market hammer only will greatly improve trigger break.... It's the way the the hammer hooks break from sear more so than a frag issue.

The 85 trigger makes the trigger pull feel lighter, but technically doesn't change pull weight...

Polishing all contact surfaces helps with both d/a and s/a. And is a relatively ez process.

I think the s/a modification is more complicated than d/a.

The reduced power trigger return spring. Drops d/a approx 1/2 pound

Don't forget the 14 m lifter is the key part for short reset. The aftermarket disco is key part for reach reduction. The old Cajun gun works site explained it a little better.

In a nut shell ( overly simplified)

D/A.

Reduced weight Hammer spring.

S/A

Hammer

There a lot of up grades/ parts that don't nessarily affect trigger pull weight that haven't bern discussed.

Slave pin, hammer pins, firing pin stop, trigger, tools, fiber optic sight, grips, grip screw, mags, stainless/ tungsten guide rod.......

Look at pro package and defensive package parts tha cgw offers. This will give you an idea of what goes into a custom gun.

As far as comparing cz with other platforms..... The cz really shines when you complete both d/a and single action modifications. I feel like it puts a $700 gun on the level of a $3000 tuned gun.

If I had to do it again which I will do..... Is bite the proverbial bullet and order all the parts one time. It's $ 6.00 shipping if you order a few things and the same if you get it all, once.

The sp-o1 tactical IS decent out of box. Its the user that is hard to fix......

The atlas thread is a good start.

There are some sp-0- tactical specific you tube tutorials...... Theses videos are worth the watch!!

Edited by biglou13

abyss1232 SP 01 Tactical videos on YouTube are awesome.

One cautionary note, the slave pin I ordered from CGW would not pass through the right side of the sear cage or the frame; this prompted a spontaenous sear cage disassembly and my great appreciation of the abyss1232 videos. I've since made several slave pins using nails turned down using a drill motor and belt grinder.

Have fun.