Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 de-primer clips?

I've popped 2 E clips off my de-primer die in the last 2 batches of 9 mm......never happened before..

I pre sort my brass prior to loading and have never run into this before. I replaced the pin yesterday when it happened again...so far so good.

It was a run of 500 rounds....any suggestions??

Thanks!

I broke an E clip mid loading session last year and didn't have a spare. After digging around a bit, I found that the primer tube clips will fit in a pinch. I finished the session and then left it there as a test. It's still there (the same one) 10,000+ cycles later. Appears to plenty durable, (perhaps more so than the original) with no ill effects. (Shrug)

Thanks guys!!...I would guess I'm about 20K loaded...it just seemed 2 would go in such short order. And yea, I got spares of spares of Dillon parts....Murphy's Law lives in my loading room......full time!

Love this darn press....as I'm sure you folks will attest....once you get your Karma down about operating this machine it's a pleasure to run.....cranked out 2K this weekend...other than some crap brass I got from a friend...I was cookin'

It's true the e-clips break in a fairly unpredictable, random manner. Like someone said before me, bent recapping pins seem to aggravate the issue. The other thing I have noticed is that failing to get the center tang fully inserted in the slot hastens failure. When you install the clip be sure it is fully seated and failures seem to be less.

If you don't have an e-clip tool (a plier sort of tool) go buy one. It makes changing the clips faster and reduces the chance of damage to the clip caused by trying to install it with the wrong tools (brute force).