Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Galling

Secretariat

Forgive the ignorance but what is galling? You see, I the finish of one of my 1911 pistols is stainless and someone told me the one of the problems of stainless guns is galling. He also said that stainless steel requires a different kind of lubrication and gun oil grease. Are these all true? If yes, what kinds of lubrication, gun oil and grease should I get?

Thanks in advance.

From Wikipedia:

Galling is a form of wear caused by adhesion between sliding surfaces. When a material galls, some of it is pulled with the contacting surface, especially if there is a large amount of force compressing the surfaces together. Galling is caused by a combination of friction and adhesion between the surfaces, followed by slipping and tearing of crystal structure beneath the surface. This will generally leave some material stuck or even friction welded to the adjacent surface, whereas the galled material may appear gouged with balled-up or torn lumps of material stuck to its surface.

Galling is most commonly found in metal surfaces that are in sliding contact with each other. It is especially common where there is inadequate lubrication between the surfaces. However, certain metals will generally be more prone to galling, due to the atomic structure of their crystals. For example, aluminum is a metal which will gall very easily, whereas annealed (softened) steel is slightly more resistant to galling. Steel that is fully hardened is very resistant to galling.

Galling is a common problem in most applications where metals slide while in contact with other metals. This can happen regardless of whether the metals are the same or of different kinds. Metals such as brass are often chosen for bearings,bushings, and other sliding applications because of their resistance to galling, as well as other forms of mechanical abrasion.

I have heard that stainless steel is more prone to galling than carbon steel. Galling can some times be reduced or eliminated by using 2 different grades of

material, for example if your frame and slide were made of 2 different grades of stainless. There are some who believe that through modern metallurgy the

galling problem has been eliminated in modern firearms. I also heard, second hand, that a well respected local gunsmith recommends sending stainless steel

semi-autos out for hard chrome in order to eliminate galling. In all probability you will get a lifetime of service from you gun before your

ever see any wear from galling, however if it is still a concern, I suggest that you contact the manufacturer for their take on how galling might affect

your gun, and ask for their recommendation on how to minimize the problem.

Edited by cuzinvinny

Don't run an all-stainless gun without lube and you shouldn't have any problems unless you shoot a lot. And I mean a LOT. If stainless was a big issue then you wouldn't see major manufacturers use the stuff to make guns that they have to warranty.

I've only seen it twice, one was a Llama 1911 and the other was a true Saturday Night Special revolver probably made in the 70's with no name, proof marks or serial number on it. Both guns were not what I would call "high quality" but I also think that neither one was properly oiled, if at all.

I recommend using a lube that is still doing its job even after it appears to have dried, like CLP, and you'll be fine. Unless you're shooting a LOT of course. This is why gunsmtihs building custom competition guns shy away from stainless since their good name is riding on the longevity of their work and it only takes one ugly story to hurt their business.

Forgive the ignorance but what is galling? You see, I the finish of one of my 1911 pistols is stainless and someone told me the one of the problems of stainless guns is galling. He also said that stainless steel requires a different kind of lubrication and gun oil grease. Are these all true? If yes, what kinds of lubrication, gun oil and grease should I get?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, to all statements you list. It was my understanding that galling occurs at the surface of stainless parts of similar makeup and is sort of an electrolytic exchange were the surface of the parts try to bond and exchange electrons. Problem is, next time you move the pieces it shears off a tiny bit of material at the surface. Eventually, the surfaces get rougher over time. Galling is prevented with special lubes and by using dissimilar stainless types between parts that ride on each other.

RIG+p makes a good stainless grease I have used on many guns.

Edited by bountyhunter