Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Bullet Puller

I just broke my RCBS bullet puller just below the head. I've probably pulled (maybe) 30-40 bullets with it and I really didn't hit that hard. It's not big money loss, of course, but does anyone know if they have a warranty of any kind? (I thought these things were indestructable.)

If no warranty, does anyone have a better recommendation? FYI, I can't use anything (collet type) that requires a single stage press because I don't have ss press any more.

I use a collet RCB bullet puller, problem is u got to buy ea size to fit your caliber 357,9mm,38s up fits same,scares the bullet on pistol tho I reload them as practice rnds

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I just broke my RCBS bullet puller just below the head. I've probably pulled (maybe) 30-40 bullets with it and I really didn't hit that hard. It's not big money loss, of course, but does anyone know if they have a warranty of any kind? (I thought these things were indestructable.)

If no warranty, does anyone have a better recommendation? FYI, I can't use anything (collet type) that requires a single stage press because I don't have ss press any more.

Yes used RCB"S Kenetic slammer, works OK for rifle tougher on pistol,never enjoyed using it, beat the crap out of it never broke

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks, Rancher. I had one many years ago and never broke it either so I got another one when I started reloading again a few years ago. Although I've slammed it pretty good in the past and it didn't break this last time it was a fairly easy hit. The hit didn't even pull the bullet all the way out probably because it broke instead of taking the full hit. I guess I'll just order another one - 'don't need one that often - and see how long it lasts.

$45 Puller: http://grip-n-pull.com/

$68 Press: http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Breech-Challenger-Press/dp/B008F5H636

Works like a champ, doesn't wear out or break, doesn't damage bullets (even thinly gilded bullets rarely show a mark), easy operation, faster than a kinetic. And you'll have a decent single stage press for all your other random oddball chores.

$45 Puller: http://grip-n-pull.com/

$68 Press: http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Breech-Challenger-Press/dp/B008F5H636

Works like a champ, doesn't wear out or break, doesn't damage bullets (even thinly gilded bullets rarely show a mark), easy operation, faster than a kinetic. And you'll have a decent single stage press for all your other random oddball chores.

Thanks for the comments guys. Obviously, this is the best way to go for a person who's really into reloading - that's not me. I reload only because I want to shoot lighter loads in competition - 9mm and .45 it all I do - and I don't particularly enjoy the reloading. It's a means to an end for me plus I don't want or need another press, single stage or progressive. Making room for another press beside my Dillon and spending $113 (+ shipping and potential taxes) just to be able to pull a bullet would be overkill for me. I merely need an inertia puller that won't break but I guess that's not possible so I'll just buy another RCBS and let it do what it can do.

I don't know of an inertial that doesn't eventually break but they are the way to go if you're only pulling a few bullets and don't want to spend much money. You can make them last longer by putting some carpet over a cement brick/block to cushion the shock of impact. It will take more hits to get the bullet out but service life is much longer and it's not as hard on your hand.

Some of that may depend upon the striking surface. I use a 2X4 on a concrete floor to "cushion" the blow that the puller has to deal with. It also gives a bit of bounce to help the pull.

+1. I broke 2 in one year (Franklin , Lyman) until I figured that out. My RCBS has lasted several years since.

Quinetics bullet puller, I think they make the RCBS/Lee/Dillon ones anyhow. But they have one that you don't have to the whole cap off every time, it's just a half turn of the cap and dump out the contents then insert new round to be pulled, half turn tight and smack. Fastest I've ever used.