Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lock Up

Secretariat

Was shooting my 1911 45 ACP pistol this afternoon. Was shooting flawlessly the first 80 rounds. Then, all of a sudden, the slide locks up( Remains Open)and the next round in the magazine doesn't feed. I can't seem to press the slide stop to make the slide close and go back to battery. I have to push the slide forward for it to close and go back to battery and chamber the next round from the magazine. Even on an empty magazine, it is still the same. I have to push the slide forward for it to close and go back to battery. Would anyone out here know what may be causing this problem and what is the fix for it?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Secretariat

Was shooting my 1911 45 ACP pistol this afternoon. Was shooting flawlessly the first 80 rounds. Then, all of a sudden, the slide locks up( Remains Open)and the next round in the magazine doesn't feed. I can't seem to press the slide stop to make the slide close and go back to battery. I have to push the slide forward for it to close and go back to battery and chamber the next round from the magazine. Even on an empty magazine, it is still the same. I have to push the magazine forward for it to close and go back to battery. Would anyone out here know what may be causing this problem and what is the fix for it?
Thanks in advance.

I don't quite understand this part?

Edited by kmca

Check your slide stop to make sure it has not worked it's way out. (You may need a new plunger spring or have a detent cut into the slide stop) if not the make sure the slide spring has then proper tension.

I'm assuming you have tried multiple magazines and still have the same issue.

+1 for checking your slide stop. This happened to me. Needed a new plunger spring. Try without a mag in. Run the slide back and forth in your hand. Try to feel for any hang ups. It could also be the followers if it's doing this with 1 left in the mag.

+1 for checking your slide stop. This happened to me. Needed a new plunger spring. Try without a mag in. Run the slide back and forth in your hand. Try to feel for any hang ups. It could also be the followers if it's doing this with 1 left in the mag.

Even with no magazine and the gun is in slide lock, I still have to push the slide forward for it to go back to battery.

Check your slide stop to make sure it has not worked it's way out. (You may need a new plunger spring or have a detent cut into the slide stop) if not the make sure the slide spring has then proper tension.

I'm assuming you have tried multiple magazines and still have the same issue.

Yes, I've tried every magazines and it's still the issue.

Was shooting my 1911 45 ACP pistol this afternoon. Was shooting flawlessly the first 80 rounds. Then, all of a sudden, the slide locks up( Remains Open)and the next round in the magazine doesn't feed. I can't seem to press the slide stop to make the slide close and go back to battery. I have to push the slide forward for it to close and go back to battery and chamber the next round from the magazine. Even on an empty magazine, it is still the same. I have to push the magazine forward for it to close and go back to battery. Would anyone out here know what may be causing this problem and what is the fix for it?
Thanks in advance.

I don't quite understand this part?

My bad. I meant, push the slide forward. Sorry for the typo error.

Did you take it apart and check if anything is broken?

+1

Are you running a shock buffer?

Do you have to push it all the way forward or just bump it to make it start moving?

If you haven't seen the inside of it you are wasting time.

That looks like a perfectly square corner where the crack initiated. That may not have happened had the corner been milled with a radius cut which would help to eliminate the stress riser. Factory Wilson/Nowlin cut barrels come that way.

Good luck with the new barrel.

Brought my gun to the gunsmith. According to him, what caused the slide lock was that the ejector moved slightly up to bind with the breech face. He fixed it right away and now my gun is running smoothly.

Thanks for all your replies.

Edited by Secretariat