Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil springs and shock buffers....

G17fan

Hello all, I am operating on mobile device only so spending hours searching isn't practical for me right now so I thought I'd as the question....

What does everyone run as far as recoil spring weight?

Do you use a shock buff?

Pros/cons to using a shock buff?

Open Division for USPSA

SIlhoutte powder

9mm MPF

124gr RN hard plated from xtreme

Thank you.

Edited by G17fan

I run no buff in my open major gun (38 super) or in my 9mm 1911. I tried one in my 1911 and felt it shortened the stroke in a way that I could notice. I do run one in my minor PF CZ shadow but I take it out for matches (reliability).

You will find basically 3 camps for open major 2011's.

buff

no buff

aluma-buff

seems about equal between all 3. Considering the small cost perhaps try one and see if you like it. just be aware you need to keep an eye on them and change them regularly as they not only get flat but they can tear apart and jam up the gun nicely.

as far as recoil spring goes something between 7 and 11lb is most common for a major PF 2011. but it varies in that range depending on:

how light is the slide

how hot is the load

how low a spring the gun will still cycle with

grip of the shooter

'feel' preference of the shooter

I'd suggest buy a bunch. start with say a 7lb and an 11lb. See which you like better. If it's the 11lb then maybe buy a 9 and 10lb and try those too. if you prefer the 7 maybe buy a 8 and 9 and try those. or just buy 7-11lb to start with and tune with those. again it's not a big investment.

I usually use an 8 or 9lb spring for major pf loads. 7lb spring for minor pf or used with an aluma buff for major pf.

As a general guide, see how far your brass is ejecting. If it's flying out 10+ feet in the air, then your spring is most likely too light and putting more stress on the frame/slide.

I usually use an 8 or 9lb spring for major pf loads. 7lb spring for minor pf or used with an aluma buff for major pf.

As a general guide, see how far your brass is ejecting. If it's flying out 10+ feet in the air, then your spring is most likely too light and putting more stress on the frame/slide.

I had another thread about this. Still trying to figure out my ejection tuning. I went as heavy as a 13# recoil spring, had good operation and still pretty far ejection. This is with a 38 super with 115s doing 169pf.

Went back to a 11# after some suggestions in that thread, but do you have any recommendations on how to go about tuning that? I have a friend with 9mm major doing similar pf with 11# spring and his brass drops out at his feet.

I had another thread about this. Still trying to figure out my ejection tuning. I went as heavy as a 13# recoil spring, had good operation and still pretty far ejection. This is with a 38 super with 115s doing 169pf.

Went back to a 11# after some suggestions in that thread, but do you have any recommendations on how to go about tuning that? I have a friend with 9mm major doing similar pf with 11# spring and his brass drops out at his feet.

You also have to factor in the mainspring and slide weight. A heavier weight mainspring will slow the slide more. A non-lightened slide will have more mass and move slower. I normally use a 17lb mainspring with a lightened slide and an 8-9lb recoil spring and my brass ejects within 5-10'. This is with 115gr PD JHP over 8.8gr HS-6 at 1.170 OAL giving and avg of 173 pf.

Be advised, a shokbuff will slow the rebound speed of the slide from the strike face of the frame. After all, cushioning that impact is what a shokbuff is for.

On most guns a slower rebound speed is no problem, but if your gun is sensitive to changes and installing a shokbuff causes feeding or lockup issues, using a slightly heavier recoil spring should fix it. If your gun then starts having extraction/ejection/stripping issues (slide not traveling fully rearward) with the heavier recoil spring, then you don't need a shokbuff at all since your slide isn't hitting all that hard anyway.

With careful tuning and a proper replacement schedule for your recoil spring, a shokbuff is never needed. But for most people who don't spend serious time working on their gun squeezing out every last inch of performance (and always loading the same ammo), using a shokbuff can be beneficial in reducing wear and tear.

Shock buff will short stroke you gun. If your using a rubber shock buff, your gun might not run 100% because rubber can expand (with the heat of the frame barrel, guide rod and recoil spring). I recommend not to use shock buff unless your gun and mags have been tuned and designed to have one.