Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watching Steel Fall

Alaskan454

Yeah, I agree I should have moved on after hitting the target, but there was a required standing reload before engaging the next target array so it would have been really easy to glance over during my reload. I feel I engaged them correctly but should have glanced over before ending the stage. The thread title is actually poor advice, I should have titled it "Making Sure Steel Falls".

• 2 weeks later...

If possible, shoot the steel first/early in an array/position so you can glance at it or catch it from your peripheral vision before moving to the next part of the stage. Scout out a secondary position to take the steel if they don't fall at your first position. If you finish up a stage with steel keep your gun on target and scan the final pieces of steel. If you have to reload early to makeup steel don't forget to reload when you planned anyways.

Edited by amokscience

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If possible, shoot the steel first/early in an array/position so you can glance at it or catch it from your peripheral vision before moving to the next part of the stage. Scout out a secondary position to take the steel if they don't fall at your first position. If you finish up a stage with steel keep your gun on target and scan the final pieces of steel. If you have to reload early to makeup steel don't forget to reload when you planned anyways.

Awesome advice...thanks.

Especially the small stand alone plates.

Heck the first USPSA match I ever shot I called a calibration on the very 1st stage and got a reshoot out of it. I was shooting my STI in 9x23mm around 172 PF and hit this falling plate in the neck area and it failed to fall so I called it immediately. I was not the first shooter but I was the first one not shooting a .45 in the squad. Once they tested it and readjusted it was good to go.