Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

686 plus question and moonclips

Blue Jacket

I have a 686 plus. I would like to try some revo shooting with it. However my thought is to buy a six shot cylinder and get it set up for clips. My question is can I put a six shot cylinder or a plus or would the timing not work out. And you can see who shoots bottom feeders. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

This is precisely the reason why I suggest 6- or 8-shot revolvers (and never 7-) when someone starts a "which revolver?" thread. At the time, they don't think they'd ever be interested in shooting a match with it, but often get the itch later.

Anyhow, if you can find a 6-shot cylinder, it can be converted, but it'll need a new hand to adjust the timing. Add in the moonclip conversion, and just buying a 6- or 8-shot gun might look like an easier option.

What game are you interested in? I don't know that conversion to 6-shot would really gain you anything in USPSA. It would in IDPA, but you'd be better off using speedloaders, since you'd have to load your ammo to a higher power factor if you ran it with moonclips.

Tom

I did the same with my 686 P and it work perfect, maybe I was lucky I did not need a new hand, timing was just fine.

Thanks

Frants

I have a 686 plus. I would like to try some revo shooting with it. However my thought is to buy a six shot cylinder and get it set up for clips. My question is can I put a six shot cylinder or a plus or would the timing not work out. And you can see who shoots bottom feeders. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is your cylinder already set up for moon clips? New ones are.

If not you could have you present cylinder cut for moon clips. Save the cost of a new cylinder. see TK Custom

Also think of the game you're going to play. 686+ is great for Steel challenge, with or without moon clips.

A 686+ that is also cut for moon clips would be good for ICORE. Since ICORE is designed to be six shot neutral, you could shoot limited division with it, and your spare round could be used for make up shots. Either 6 or 7 shot moonclipped gun would be at a disadvantage in USPSA unless you were shooting major PF (loading 357 mag). IDPA if you shoot any moonclipped gun you have to shoot major PF (again reloading 357 mag). It really depends on what games you want to play. You can shoot a moonclipped 6 or 7 shot revo in USPSA in minor PF, you're just going to be shooting against all the 8 shot guys out there.

The only advantage a 7 shot gun gives you is if you stage plan with a "6 shot mindset" and you then have the capability of one make up shot. That's useful in Steel Challenge.... and somewhat handy in USPSA if you are stage planning for six rounds. In IDPA you'd only be allowed to load six, so there is no advantage there, but the gun could play if you just drop six in the moonclip. But, you'd still have to make a 165 PF (a 160 bullet at 1050 will do it for a 168 PF... and that's doable in .38 Spl cases.) The drawback to six rounds in a 7 shot moon in IDPA is indexing on the reload and that will definitely slow your reloads!

I was thinking of using it for steel challenge, though might try some USPSA. I wouldn't worry about being competitive in USPSA, just would be shooting for fun. I should add I didn't buy this particular revolver. It was willed to me and instead of it just setting in the safe, thought I would get out and try to shoot it more. If I were buying a revolver for competition it would probably be one of the 8 shot 9mm since I already load 9 anyway

I'llcontact TK custom and check on the price of having the cylinder set up for the clips. Thanks for the advice!