Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Shooting High

Thaunk

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this same problem recently. Originally ordered the .285 and adjustable rear (both FO). I bottomed the rear out and I was shooting an inch or two high at 15 yards.

I emailed Dawson and they told me to adjust the rear up 1 to 2 revolutions and re-test and give them the results. With 1.5 revolutions of the rear site, I was 6" high at 15 yards. Using their equation, I calculated that I needed at .385 front site. It was free under their policy.

I just installed it. It's super tall. Looks like a sail at the front of my G34. Clearance is not an issue in my bladetech holster, but barely.

I'm more of a function over form person, so looks are not a huge deal. However, knowing what I know now, I probably would have only raised the rear site by 3/4 - 1 revolution, hopefully resulting in a lower front site with the same zeroing ability.

I'm not sure I'd be covered under their policy as I purchased the sights through Zev. Having purchased sight 2 directly from them, if this doesn't work I'll let them know. Sight comes in today so hopefully I'll get to mess with it and get it shot some this week. Hurricane whatever kept me cooped up in the house all weekend.

Ok, I put the sight on yesterday and got to shoot it today. Here are the results from 5, 10, and 15 yards. Aiming for the center of the sticker in all cases. I redid the 15 yard shot as I feel like I didn't get a reasonable group. Second attempt was better. I'm headed back to the range tomorrow if all goes according to plan to work on it some more. I think the taller sight did the trick, but ya'll tell me.

post-57801-0-80296400-1444420678_thumb.j

post-57801-0-52589700-1444420685_thumb.j

post-57801-0-18142900-1444420692_thumb.j

post-57801-0-15256800-1444420698_thumb.j

That's a call you have to make. What position is your rear sight in?

Still all the way down.

Those are all good zeros, little left, you probably need to work on the fundamentals before chasing the sight picture.

All fair points. Started reading Brian's book which I'm hoping will help. Need to change my grip to what was posted earlier.

Those are all good zeros, little left, you probably need to work on the fundamentals before chasing the sight picture.

+1. I'd start with a bench rest at 20 yards - see howlarge the groups are. Nice solid bench.

I'd also look at the ammo - looks like you could get some more accurate ammo.

You can also raise/lower the POA with a heavier or lighter bullet, at the same PF. :cheers:

Ok, I put the sight on yesterday and got to shoot it today. Here are the results from 5, 10, and 15 yards. Aiming for the center of the sticker in all cases. I redid the 15 yard shot as I feel like I didn't get a reasonable group. Second attempt was better. I'm headed back to the range tomorrow if all goes according to plan to work on it some more. I think the taller sight did the trick, but ya'll tell me.

I suggest you shoot off a bench with the butt of the weapon on a rolled up towel. Read this thread, good info------> http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102415&hl=%2Btowel%2Bgman#entry1167075

Since your rear sight is still all the way down you will have to decide if a 15 yd slightly above center hold zero is acceptable. Assuming your second group was the more representative one. You will be higher still at 20 and even more so at 25. Heavier weight bullets than what you zero'd with should also be higher. So you have to determine what you need.

And more importantly than any of that, what 9x45 said about the fundamentals, put up some bulls and worry about size of groups instead of location of them first.

I was shooting armscor 125g 9mm. I had some 115g at my last uspsa competition but was advised it would have issues knocking down steel targets, after I failed to knock one down. I changed to the 125g after that. Should I switch to Atlanta arms for practice until I start reloading?

All reactive steel at a USPSA match has to be calibrated to a 125 floor(actually less by the rule book). Your 115 grain 9mm should be fine with a good hit, not low. You can always ask for calibration if you believe you had a good hit. Also the 147's will shoot even higher, so that doesn't help.

Back to the shooting part, you need to get the fundamentals down first. Start at 3 yards, when you can shoot a one hole group, move to 5, 7, 10, 15 etc out to 25 yards. Don't do it bullseye style, just go from the low ready on the beep. The reason to start close is instant feed back. If you are 1" at 5 yards, you will be 5" high at 25 yards. So get it down at close range first.

2. Prior to commencement of a match, the calibration ammunition must be chronographed using the procedure specified in Appendix C2. The calibra-tion ammunition, when tested through each designated handgun, should achieve a power factor between 115.0 and 125.0 to qualify. 9x19mm is the recommended caliber.

Edited by 9x45

I saw the hit, it was a good hit in the bulged out portion of the target. I was planning to ask for a calibration but the fellow who was my match buddy is also an RO and said it probably wouldn't go anywhere. I'm hitting the range today if all goes according to plan and I'll do that.

Bulged poppers have a different center of mass than flat ones. They should have set it correctly. A call for calibration would have been correct.

I don't think you are going to solve your shooting issue on internet forums. My advice is to have a local Grand Master check out your gun and go over some stuff with to see whats going on. Most people have little wrong things going on that they don't see after the beep. And even if you video yourself you may not recognize the issues. 90% of it can be corrected with the right diagnosis.

I'd love to have a GM check out my gun but I don't know any yet. As to solving all my shooting problems on the internet, no I don't expect to but I did expect to make some progress and get good advice. Both of which I think has happened. I'm still exceedingly new so I don't expect to be an expert by any means and the practice is fun.

I'd love to have a GM check out my gun but I don't know any yet. As to solving all my shooting problems on the internet, no I don't expect to but I did expect to make some progress and get good advice. Both of which I think has happened. I'm still exceedingly new so I don't expect to be an expert by any means and the practice is fun.

You look like you have a pretty good zero and as long as you don't monkey with it a whole bunch your Glock should run reliably. Shoot that thing as much as you can and have fun. Figure out more niceties as you go.