Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger Course

CrashDodson

One suggestion is to take his Skills and Drills book MUCH more seriously.

I have only briefly reviewed it so far. But it doesnt seem like it lays out a plan for practicing. Or should you just work the drills in the order they are in the book?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So hes an ass or just a tell you like it is type?

His internet reputation greatly exceeds the reality. He can be extremely insightful, succinct and honest in his feedback, a tad edgy and rather amusing.

I greatly appreciate that quality in his instruction.

So hes an ass or just a tell you like it is type?

He just tells it like it is without candy coating it. He's not rude or insulting or anything like that.

He conveys a lot of information directly, with the least amount of words. I think that's a very good quality in a coach.

$450 is pretty much right there with other pro's in the industry. Look at Max or TGO's classes. They are even more. You are definitely getting what you pay for with top shelf instructors though. Even places like frontsight are crazy expensive.

He is direct, funny and edgy. But just because you paid $400 doesn't mean he won't laugh at you when you screw up. It never bothered me, and I screwed up a fair bit. But some people don't handle that kind of coaching well. They're the ones who need to bring their thick skin.

Something else - his vision is extremely good and he sees things that others cannot physically see or are unable to perceive.

I think he's gentler on people who may not be able to handle the feedback. Myself, I enjoy it and encourage him to give me feedback unfiltered. That's what I am there for.

One suggestion is to take his Skills and Drills book MUCH more seriously.

I have only briefly reviewed it so far. But it doesnt seem like it lays out a plan for practicing. Or should you just work the drills in the order they are in the book?

He doesn't really believe in 'one size fits all' ... You need to figure out what areas you need to work on and then use the appropriate drills which focus on fixing these areas .... Or take his class and have him tell you where you to spend your training time

Here's any example from the last time I brought him to our Club to teach is Fundamentals class ...

At the end of day 2 we were spending some time on the draw. At the end one of the students asked a question about what is considered a good draw time from a non race holster so Ben asked him what his draw time was; he said "I've got it down to about 2 secs", Ben then asked how long he had been working on it and if he thought that was good ... The student said "about a year and yeah, I think it's not to bad "... Ben then said "Well no, that's a horrible time for your draw". "If you've been working on your draw for that long there is no reason you shouldn't have a 1 sec draw by now ..." "Whatever you've been doing, it's wrong and you need to fix it .." That's Ben in a nutshell ....

He'll be at my Club starting on the 30th for 4 days .... It's going to be epic - like always ... :)

Edited by Nimitz

I ran ~700/day last time I did a 4-day class. Stressing out about running low on ammo or reducing the number of drill or stage cycles in a training day is no fun for me. Yes it was a lot of ammo and no I don't regret a single round of it. I'd shoot more but at some point you get tired.

If it were one-on-one training I'd agree that the more rds you could shoot the better but in a group class he's not watching everything you do every time you pull the trigger and the class is more about learning how to train correctly and getting feedback on what you need to do wrong and not any actual training. It doesn't take many reps of a drill for Ben to ID your problems & recommend fixes. That being said, I'm not trying to suggest you shouldn't shoot as much as you want. When I train with him I'm much more focused on what he's telling me and making sure I understand what I need to work on then round count, if I'm struggling with a particular issue I may shoot more reps but that's it ... 1,000 rds has always been more than enough to shoot his 2-day class for me ...

Edited by Nimitz

I ran ~700/day last time I did a 4-day class. Stressing out about running low on ammo or reducing the number of drill or stage cycles in a training day is no fun for me. Yes it was a lot of ammo and no I don't regret a single round of it. I'd shoot more but at some point you get tired.

Yeah, when I took a 2-day class with him, there were four students total, and I shot 1300-1400 rounds. A lot of drills, and a lot of reps. He doesn't screw around.