Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting the open journey - 9 major

roklock

I was using MGB 124 CMJ and they were running great with WAC. Through a group buy I picked up some Hornady HAP 125s and the accuracy seems more consistent. Next is to try the 115gr and see about dot movement. All loaded with WAC, typically 6.9 grains.

is is too much to ask for COL with the bullet and powder?

LOL, indeed!

What are you looking for? there's all kinds of load data in this thread. OAL is up to your barrel and preferred bullet type, but if you tell me which bullet, powder, OAL, barrel length and number of holes for most powders I can give a charge weight within a few tenths.

Hi kneelingatlas,

I know one should size the cartridge to the pistol one has.

there is a range over which that can be done as well.

The reason I want the COL is to help me decide if it is a recipe I can make to suite my pistol

and what I have in components.

that way I don't need to ask.

what I do is take the info and check it against the few manuals I have.

this gives me a sense of how the recipe works.

I tried a least one load recipe and was amused to see very flat primers...

so I am a little more careful about the things I try.

I am pretty sure some people use long COL . I would like to be sure.

miranda

1.160"-1.170" with RN bullets works in all my chambers, non of which have been reamed, however, I just bought a bunch of MG JHP in 115 and 124 which can't load longer 1.135" in any of my chambers. I actually chrono'ed some short loads which worked out pretty well; 7gr of HS6 under a 124gr MG JHP @ 1.118" made 171pf in my Tanfoglio with a 5.2" barrel and no holes although the same load only made 160 and 164 in my two full sized 2011s, one with two holes and the other with none. If you stretch out the OAL to 1.160" it takes another half grain of powder to make the same PF. In compensated guns the consensus is more powder, more gas, flatter gun, but if I can use the same powder charge with a lighter bullet seated deeper I can't imagine the gun shooting worse...

At some point I'd like to do some tests to that effect.

I thought the speed of the powder was involved in working the compensator.

that is a slower powder would supply more gas and drive the front down better.

I can imagine it might be a bit noisier.

miranda

you are right but so is he. Slow powder and lots of it.:)

I too have keeping an eye on OAL,S. I used layout fluid as someone else,suggezted around the ogive. I kept seeing a ring mark on the ogive,untiI got to about 1.155 using MG 121,s. So with my barrel 1 150 would be a safe bet to load at. You may be able to "pluck test" a round at longer lengths but unless you mark the ogive, you really don't know, if your bullet is clear of the barrel lands. BTW I tried some other formulas I found on BE , about measure this and that but really got inconsistent results. Gave up and tried the layout fluid. Pretty much you can clearly see the results!

Edited by kimberacp

Thanks for all the useful responses.

As Miranda mentioned, it would be really great if people would post their approximate COAL/OAL for whatever load they are loading, regardless of whether it is for Open, Limited or Production.

It doesn't help anyone to know someone is loading 7.4 grains of "Razzmatazz" with a "White Unicorn" 124 gr projectile if we don't know what your COAL/OAL is and especially if we can't load to that OAL for the barrel we own. If we know your OAL, we might be able to adjust the load to fit a different requirement.

The 9mm Production loading I use for my M&P absolutely will not feed through my CZ/Tanfo pistols. Reason? Specific bullet profile, barrel chamber length and OAL of the round.

Thanks again guys!

Edited by JMike

• 2 weeks later...

STI DVC:

Longshot powder 7.8 grains

124gr JHP MGB

OAL: 1.160

My OAL length has gone from a short 1.150 to 1.175 (too long for my mags) down to 1.160. I was reading on forums and of course its gun specific, that the longer bullets worked well without shims, I did not find that correct. I have since purchased the MBX magazines to test and they did not like the the 1.175 OAL. I have not had a chance to chrono this load yet.