Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1A/M14 Receiver

EricW

Not that I have any business buying anything right now, that's not the point. :P

Anyway, what are the recommendations of those in-the-know on M1A/M14 receivers? I saw some Fulton Armory blem receivers in SG News for a very attractive price, but I don't know about the quality.

Also, what model should I get? Standard M14:

FA-004-Right-450_50.jpg

Or, the "match" receiver with the rear lug:

FA-500-Right-450_50.jpg

Are there other receiver manufacturers I should consider? Entreprise?

Where should one buy the remainder of the parts to finish the rifle?

I've thought about buying a Springfield, but I'm hearing that the new M1A's are so badly manufactured they're not worth bothering with. I really don't feel like going through a S&W "send the gun back and forth 5X then bitch out the VP to get the job done right" deal.

Money no object? Double lugged what the heck. My 18" rock stock Springfield scout squad has run perfect since day one. Shoots well enough for 3 gun and is quick on close targets.

If you have the tools to build it fine other wise you will invest mucho $$$ when the factory unit will serve you well.

Are you shooting anymore? Or just slaving away for your professors

PK

Money no object?  Double lugged what the heck.  My 18" rock stock Springfield scout squad has run perfect since day one.  Shoots well enough for 3 gun and is quick on close targets.

If you have the tools to build it fine other wise you will invest mucho $$$ when the factory unit will serve you well.

Are you shooting anymore? Or just slaving away for your professors

PK

Hi Pat,

My shooting is on hold until after finals. Way too much to do between now and then. I got a little transition practice in with the 10/22 last night, but that's all the shooting I've done for a couple months now.

I just saw Fulton receivers for $350 in SG news and thought that might be a cheap way to get into an M1A. I've heard that SA's tolerances on the new M1A's are so lousy that the the trigger groups practically fall out of the receiver. But yeah, it's $1150 versus $2000 for a Fulton unless Shawn can order me one cheap.

EricW,

www.m14 forum.com is probably the best place for M14/M1a knowledge on the net.

LRB is argueably the current "best" place to get a receiver. You can get a knowledgeable opinion on the Fulton seconds on m14forum.

I have a M1A Loaded and it runs fine. I've got a Bush due here Tuesday and expect it to be fine also.

There are Springfields out there used for ~$1000 or so.

Keep after those studies! That GED is important! :D

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Californian I decided to go with an M1A Standard rifle for 3-gun. I'm a medium built guy, 216 lbs. and find the rifle a little heavy to shoot and cannot really go fast with it. Do you guys have suggestions how I can shoot this thing with less recoil? Any recommendations on optics? I have the Springfield Armory 6X40 on it but have trouble shooting on close ranges, better off using iron sights. Thanks.

Norbs007,

I shoot an M1A loaded and just got a M1A Bush. I don't believe I'll ever be as fast as I could be with an AR but so what?

The weight helps with the recoil. Quicker second shots on target will come with practice.

I have a Simmons Pro Diamond on the loaded. It's variable power with a fairly large field of view. It works pretty well on the close stuff and dials up nicely for these old eyes on the longer targets.

I shoot the M1A platform because it's fun. I have done a bit of extra upper body exercise to help drive it around.

Have fun,

Dave

It's not the splits, it's movement and transitions that separate the men from the boys in 3 gun. Pat Kelley mopped the floor with damn near everybody at the IE3gun last year with his iron-sighted M1A. And that was against every variety of AR, Limited, Tactical, and Open.

I think I would go with a lugged receiver on an M1A for three gunning to add some strength and stability. I've only had Springfield Armory M1As and have been happy with them. My Dad had trouble with a Smith receiver a long time ago.

Noorbs007, I would lose that 6X right way! As for the reduced recoil? One, if possible pay Bennie Hill to put a Rolling Thunder comp for it or figure out how to put a Miculek AR10 comp on it. Two, shoot 110 - 125 grain bullets.

Airedale, just ordered the Simmons Pro Diamond from CDNN for $49.99 plus shipping. Great deal! What rings did you use and what mount? I am using the 3rd Generation mount, which I think is too high.

Kellyn, next will be the comp. Any recipe for the ammo?

EricW, got the o-rings for the 1100 Tuesday. Thanks, what a bargain.

Thank you all for your response, I'm glad I asked.

Not that I have any business buying anything right now, that's not the point.  :P

Anyway, what are the recommendations of those in-the-know on M1A/M14 receivers?  I saw some Fulton Armory blem receivers in SG News for a very attractive price, but I don't know about the quality. 

I picked up one of the "blem" receivers. The markings are a little crooked but dimensionally the receiver is fine. I made it into a standard rifle using some Chinese parts. It turned out to be a really nice rifle.

If the Entreprise M-14 receivers are anything like their FAL receivers, I'd avoid them. Armscorp are good--they make 'em for Fulton.

You probably wouldn't need a double lugged gun for three gun.

Dscf0037.jpg

Dscf0036.jpg