Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team 38 super loads

PatriotDefense

I'm open to what ever, i do have a fairly large stock pile of 3N38 though. I'm a precision bolt rifle guy so this gold team is a little out of my norm for load development and what not. So im open to see what guys use and what works in their guns. Thanks in advance for your help.

Well not shooting super comp, but am shooting super.

VV 3N38

OAL 1.245

10.4gn of 3N38

124gn frontier RN CMJ

Fed Small rifle primer

starline 38 super brass

PF 173

That's out of a tanfoglio eric gold custom/gold team V12 (12 small popple holes, 2 chamber comp)

In a friends 5inch limcat with just a 2 small popple holes and 3 chamber comp that load hits 180pf.

I also have a load with VV N350 with which everything else remains the same, but powder charge is 8.6gn.

Assuming you have a 5 inch gun with no popple holes I'd probably start at 9.2gn.

Assuming you have a 5 inch gun with some popple holes I'd start at 9.5gn

Assuming you have a super loud V12 tanfoglio like mine I'd start at 9.8gn.

As always YMMV, this is just my load in my gun, in my corner of the earth. I've been happy with that load. basically I run between 10.2 and 10.4gn. They both shoot basically the same, but I run the 10.4 load as my match load to ensure a little extra breathing room on the chrono. I run 10.2 in practice to just save a little powder. It still makes PF (for me major is 165 as I shoot under IPSC rules). The 10.2gn load hits just on 169-170PF. I've used both fed small pistol and small rifle primers. Both were fine in terms of pressure, but I feel like the rifle primers give a more complete burn (only evidenced by less un burnt powder).

I like the 3N38. It's a great 38 super major pf powder in my view. :) just a bit pricey. to me it's worth it.

...whatever load u decide on...when shooting major, replace the crap oem guide rod with a Henning or Xtreme guide rod. I knew it could take some beating, but ignored replacing my oem guide rod and paid for it this past weekend, zeroed a 110pt stage and caused 2 major malfunctions on 2 other long courses. Argh

Edited by Mo Hepworth

• 4 weeks later...

I've just worked up a major load in my new V12 using 8.2 gr Longshot with a CCI rifle primer and a 125 gr Frontier .357 bullet OAL 1.225". This is a little over 170PF. Gun works fine with load but it feels very violent. I've tried 8lb, 9lb, and 10lb springs. Gun is flattest with 8lb spring. What are some softer feeling loads for major in this gun? I'm thinking I may need a little more gas...I do have some 3n38 to try. Also some 115's that may work better with a higher charge of Longshot. May be able to get up to 9 gr with a 115.

Edited by ebg3

Loaded up some 115 gr Speer TMJ bullets with 8.6 gr Longshot at 1.26" OAL and they averaged 1410 fps. Went up to 8.8 gr Longshot and will chrono tomorrow. Maybe the increased gas and lighter bullet will feel softer. Next will try 3N38.