Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blank check for an open gun

Alaskan454

We have HS6 on hand, I saw the Hodgdon data was pretty close to major at standard pressure. Shouldn't be hard to get a bit more velocity. I forgot about the straight vs. tapered case which makes a big difference. I'm thinking 38SC is going to be the winner.

So I think it's been narrowed down to a CK Arms Thunder vs STI DVC Open, both in 38. I've handled the DVC and aside from a bit more flash and flare I'm betting you guys will likely give a nod to the CK? I was not impressed with the factory trigger on the DVC I handled, but compared to the Steel Master and Eagle sitting next to it it they were both much better. Maybe it just needed some break in?

So I think it's been narrowed down to a CK Arms Thunder vs STI DVC Open, both in 38. I've handled the DVC and aside from a bit more flash and flare I'm betting you guys will likely give a nod to the CK? I was not impressed with the factory trigger on the DVC I handled, but compared to the Steel Master and Eagle sitting next to it it they were both much better. Maybe it just needed some break in?

you guess correctly with the nod to CK.

There's not much to think about when choosing between any STI factory gun and a CK.

Go with the CK. Customer service is great and the gun has alot of the parts that you will probably change out on the STI at some point. If you have not owned an open gun before you won't ever know the difference between 9 and 38. I just switch back to 38sc because I liked the recoil impulse of the 38 over the 9. That being said if I had not shot alot of both 9 is the way go.

This one is going to be for my Dad so 38 is definitely the way to go, if I get the itch for one I might try 9mm down the road. How hard is it to just have 9 and 38 barrels fit? Unless I'm missing something I would assume everything else is the same aside from chamber dimensions.

• 5 months later...

I like the STI DVC's but it will need to be tuned. If money is no object, get the CK Thunder to shoot now. Then get the custom on order... SVI, Matt or Bobby. I like the Freedom guns. Any of the big name guys can build a great gun. Call'm, who do you mesh with on the phone? Who's cosmetics do you prefer?

Nice thing about the "starter gun" is it will help decide what you want from the custom gun. :D

EDIT: I was typing while you were typing! LOL!!! :D

Edited by Chutist

Let us know the gun shoots and how he likes it. I'm thinking of getting the same gun in fall. To me looks like the best gun for the money in a over the counter gun. Plus it looks cool.

• 2 weeks later...

If you decide to go the custom route now that the stock gun has been bought, I'd give Limcat a look too. He makes some damn fine blasters. Bank vault tight, and ridiculously accurate, with all the features you'd want in a custom 2011. A guy I shoot with has one for Lim in 9 minor and between the Indian and the arrow, he wins every match.

I endorse this guy's work so much, I should be getting paid! :roflol: