Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson adjustable rear sight question - pivot pin sliding out

MilkMyDuds

I got the front + rear adjustable sight about 3 weeks ago. Just noticed today while cleaning the gun that the pivot pin on the rear adjustable sight slid out about 3/8 inch. I pressed down the sight and pushed the pin back in. Hopefully it still holds zero.

Question - Is this normal? I suppose too much force of slide on frame is causing this? Maybe I need to switch to a stronger recoil spring (have been using 13# and just switched to 11# this week)?

I went to the range today and shot only 50 rounds. The pin slid out again, from the left side where the hold opening is bigger. I took some closer look at the Dawson adjustable sight. In my opinion, the pivot pin design does not seem very solid. Some minor vibration could cause a couple things to happen:

1. The pivot pin could slide out. What's going to happen when it is totally out? Would the sight still hold zero in that case?

2. The rear blade could easily move up and down into a tilt with just minor pressure applied from left to right on the blade, e.g. with the tip of my finger slightly pressing it side ways from left to right. This is before engaging anything with the spring system that holds the blade in place, as you can see in the picture it is just the top part of the blade moving, while the bottom part is where the spring system controls. It's interesting if you press slightly from right to left the blade holds steady. I am not sure how much impact this has on the POA, especially when shooting fast. I have noticed recently I started shooting low while shooting fast. Could this be the culprit? Again, this 2 part design of the rear blade does not seem solid when this part of the gun absorbs the most vibration in both numbers of forces. It would be nice to have the rear blade just in one part attached to the spring system.

Does anyone else using these Dawson adjustable rear notice these?

I now have 2 sets of the Dawson front+rear (adjustable) sights on my backup and main MP9s. I really want them to work solid. Thanks.

post-56818-0-44031400-1441501177_thumb.j

post-56818-0-22128100-1441501182_thumb.j

No, I did not even notice the existence of the pivot pin until it slid out.

I now have 2 sets of these. One purchased 3 weeks ago and another last week just arrived. I tested today on the new arrival and the same behavior was observed. I don't think it is a defect item but by design.

I have a DVC and bought replacement adjustable rears (to add FO). My pin moved out between stages after they were installed, and I just push it back in. If it goes too far out, the whole thing will pop out, and the springs will get lost.

I know it should be sent back to Dawson, but I have matches every weekend, so I just superglue each end. It may hold for a whole match, but then starts walking out again.

Edited by awfaxis

Replace solid pin with a roll pin, but take care that center notch can still move freely

If you can't/don't want to remove the pin, you can try to distort exposed pin end with a diagonal pliers (wire cutters)

try a number of times all around the exposed diameter of the pin

You might get it to hold with only one end distorted

I have used The Dawson Precisions adjustable sights for years, on both Glocks, and the M&P. First of all they will warranty any problems as long as it is not customer abuse.

I have seen this problem before. They replaced it for me. But if you need a quick fix what you can do is take a center punch peen one ends of the pin to sort of expand (Mushroom) the end and then drive it back into the sight base.