Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Troubleshoot my 3 Gun 2011 Setup

Deerhunter9790

After weeks of looking around and trying to see what everyone likes and uses, I think I have a good idea of what I want but I would appreciate if if anyone sees an issue with the combination. Looking for troubleshooting on weapon choice, holster choice, and magazines

Weapon: CK Arms thunder limited with rail in 9mm

Holster: Bladetech WRS level II with the drop

(Not sure which weapon I should choose under their holster options)

Magazines: 140mm MBX Magazines

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

As long as a gun is reliable, reasonably accurate, and holds a bunch of bullets, it is good to go. You also need a holster that the gun won't fall out of while you're running hard. The WRS is a good one, I wish I could tell you which one would fit, but I would recommend calling them to make sure.

In my opinion there is no need for MBX mags. Stock STI mags work fine and will lock the slide back if you happen to shoot to slide lock. You don't need super tuned uber high capacity mags for 3 gun... again my opinion. I am a middle of the pack guy at major matches

What I don't want is to spend money on STI mags and then have to modify them. I am a buy once cry once kind of guy. Their mags seem to be very hit and miss, but that is what I generally gather reading through

Yeah the MBX mags are not really more expensive by the time you buy followers, springs, base pads, and steel spacers. I think the new MBX mags are good, I bought mine when they first came out and haven't had any problems, the original springs were kind of weak but they ran fine.

Why would you change all of that stuff? I run stock plastic spacers (I did glue them in with RTV) and they work fine. I also run stock followers, hi performance followers lock the slide back with a round still in them stock followers work as designed. I run stock springs and have used the same ones for 2.5 years. I have several extras but I have never bothered to change them. I do run aftermarket base pads but just for looks and because I got a great deal. I have not used any MBX mags. I have SV mags for my open gun that are super tuned for capacity 30 rounds in a 170mm but the short mags 140mm really don't need any work. I have had probably 20 STI mags and I never had one that didn't work in stock form... I am not a take you mags apart every stage guy either...

Why would you change all of that stuff? I run stock plastic spacers (I did glue them in with RTV) and they work fine. I also run stock followers, hi performance followers lock the slide back with a round still in them stock followers work as designed. I run stock springs and have used the same ones for 2.5 years. I have several extras but I have never bothered to change them. I do run aftermarket base pads but just for looks and because I got a great deal. I have not used any MBX mags. I have SV mags for my open gun that are super tuned for capacity 30 rounds in a 170mm but the short mags 140mm really don't need any work. I have had probably 20 STI mags and I never had one that didn't work in stock form... I am not a take you mags apart every stage guy either...

I don't doubt you whatsoever, I guess it would baffle me why guys spend money on tuned mags and aftermarket mags if they worked so well. I don't have any experience with them, I am just going off the forum posts.

I would ask: what are you using now? Me, I have more guns than competitions. I would spend my money on going to more matches.

Currently using a glock 34 but it boils down to where I am at in life. I am in a good position in life and have no kids currently but will soon. I am going to get it while I can or risk not getting it in a year or two. It's not like getting the weapon will prevent me from shooting matches I want to shoot. The 2011 is inevitable

Why would you change all of that stuff?

Mostly capacity. My slide stops are modified to not lock back anyways, so premature lockback isn't an issue. I'm not saying you have to have 23 or 24 round mags to be competitive, but I'm not not in this game to save or make money. I want the best, most competitive equipment available.

The only issue I see for 3 gun is putting the safety on when you abandon a handgun. Since there is no safety on the Glock, dropping it in the box is OK but if the thumb safety on a 1911/2011 isn't engaged or worse, gets bumped to the off position, you are off to Dairy Queen.

Food for thought.......

The only issue I see for 3 gun is putting the safety on when you abandon a handgun. Since there is no safety on the Glock, dropping it in the box is OK but if the thumb safety on a 1911/2011 isn't engaged or worse, gets bumped to the off position, you are off to Dairy Queen.

Food for thought.......

The Dairy Queen problem does exist but I would shoot in a number of club matches and build some solid muscle memory with it before I took it to any major match. If it was that big of deal, I don't think so many people would be using them.

I will be running the exact same setup, minus the rail. I went LDC no rail on my CK

Shooter's Connection has WRSs for STI/SVI 5" - the one I got fits my CK perfectly

I will be running my CK for the first time in a match in a pro-am style steel match in the morning. When I was loading my MBXes to break the springs in a little so the last rounds are so difficult to load I did have 2 of my 6 followers turn on me. This caused the mags to turn into salt shakers, but this has happened to me in my XDm mags as well so I am not overly concerned. I am pretty sure I was just too aggressive trying to load rounds in, plus an inspection of the springs did not show any permanent damage.

If it helps when I ordered my CK Bobby recommended MBXes when I asked him about mags. I figure if the guy building my gun says these are the mags to use I should at least give them a fair go

Sure there is the extra point of failure with the manual safety that could send you home, but you already have to deal with them on your rifle and shotgun. Plus as you said if safeties coming off was a problem I doubt they would be so popular.

Edited by Iggy42

I don't doubt you whatsoever, I guess it would baffle me why guys spend money on tuned mags and aftermarket mags if they worked so well. I don't have any experience with them, I am just going off the forum posts.

In .40 for limited it is for capacity, you get one more round. Same for big sticks in open guns. In 9mm for 3 gun I just don't see it. Us shooters do love to spend money and have the newest and coolest stuff though. I have guns set up both ways and for 3 gun I prefer my slide to lock back. You will find what works for you. For me throwing in a nag and hitting the slide stop is faster if I happen to shoot to slide lock. Some matches pistol in a dump bucket with the safety off is no longer a DQ

Edited by Paul-the new guy

I will be running the exact same setup, minus the rail. I went LDC no rail on my CK

Shooter's Connection has WRSs for STI/SVI 5" - the one I got fits my CK perfectly

I will be running my CK for the first time in a match in a pro-am style steel match in the morning. When I was loading my MBXes to break the springs in a little so the last rounds are so difficult to load I did have 2 of my 6 followers turn on me. This caused the mags to turn into salt shakers, but this has happened to me in my XDm mags as well so I am not overly concerned. I am pretty sure I was just too aggressive trying to load rounds in, plus an inspection of the springs did not show any permanent damage.

If it helps when I ordered my CK Bobby recommended MBXes when I asked him about mags. I figure if the guy building my gun says these are the mags to use I should at least give them a fair go

Sure there is the extra point of failure with the manual safety that could send you home, but you already have to deal with them on your rifle and shotgun. Plus as you said if safeties coming off was a problem I doubt they would be so popular.

Please let me know how it does at the match. Very interested!

So my CK ran fantastic yesterday. Not a single malfunction in 200 rounds (makes 450 through it so far malfunction free) and I was able to make some shots that gave me problems in the past.

I expected a performance drop-off with switching to a new platform, but that didn't happen. I have every reason to think that once I adjust to new pistol I will see good improvement in the pistol side of my game. My pistol skills need...work no denying that, but people I have been shooting with for a couple years now say they could see a difference in me for the better.

After a couple of stages I did start to run into an issue with some mags not dropping free, but I don't see that as a malfunction in a new pistol. For all I know I wasn't hitting the mag release good enough.

Video is rendering now - I should have it up to my YouTube channel this afternoon/evening

After a couple of stages I did start to run into an issue with some mags not dropping free, but I don't see that as a malfunction in a new pistol. For all I know I wasn't hitting the mag release good enough.

Check the mag release to see if it traps the magazine while depressing the button. You may have to relieve the inside (button side) so it doesn't touch the magazine with the release depressed.

I've had mag releases the worked just fine if you just tapped the release quickly, but would not drop the magazine if you held the button in.