Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ALWAYS BRING AMMO !

jchris4769

In a major 3-gun match this year I was shooting a stage that required all 3 guns. it was the last day (3 day shoot) and I was tired and had not had a very good match thus far. Finally had a good stage going and when I transitioned from rifle to shotgun, I started by clearing the 1st array of mixed clays and steel. No problems there, then I reached down to grab my reloads and ........ nothing! I started searching all around my belt for shotgun shells and I had none!! It was an all 3 gun stage and in the shuffle of grabbing all my gear I forgot to put my shell caddies back on my belt.

Moral of the story...........always bring ammo to the gunfight !!!!!!!!!!

There was a guy in a 3 gun match that wears what I call a suicide vest, he shot his rifle, ditched it, grabbed his shotgun, shot 8 poppers, went to reload, no vest,no more shotgun ammo, he fired his last shot with his shotgun, ditched it, leaving 12 poppers up, he shot the pistol targets and some guts from the squad yelled to use his pistol.

So he shot the remaining 12 poppers with his pistol and took 12 procedurals instead of 12 Mikes and FTE's.

Not sure how it would score in abandoned major match.

Ha! I did the exact same thing a couple months ago. Went to reload shotgun and nothing! Got flustered and went to dump the gun and just go on, started to put the shotgun in the dump barrel, then realized I had a few more rounds and a match saver. Pulled the gun back up and bumped the trigger burning one into the ground. Luckily more than 10' away. Finished with a few FTE's and lots of cuss words!

There was a guy in a 3 gun match that wears what I call a suicide vest, he shot his rifle, ditched it, grabbed his shotgun, shot 8 poppers, went to reload, no vest,no more shotgun ammo, he fired his last shot with his shotgun, ditched it, leaving 12 poppers up, he shot the pistol targets and some guts from the squad yelled to use his pistol.

So he shot the remaining 12 poppers with his pistol and took 12 procedurals instead of 12 Mikes and FTE's.

Could not have gone back to shoot with pistol because they were shotgun only targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could not have gone back to shoot with pistol because they were shotgun only targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was given 12 procedurals, I guess he should have gotten the 12 Mikes too.

I wasn't sure what the rule was on it.

That is one reason I LOVE optional targets. Steel(close), with shotgun/pistol, Paper/flashers with Pistol/Rifle. None of the once you ground it its out of play, no "no hot holstering", here is the stage get the targets down. If you wanna encourage a certain gun to be used make the stage such to encourage it. IE smaller targets a little farther out to push for shotgun, no shoot steel close to encourage pistol, Little farther/harder shots to encourage rifle, close in stuff with harder transitions inside a port etc to encourage pistol. But let the shooter decide how to shoot it and if they have a gun malfunction, no ammo etc adapt and overcome

At a recent 3-gun event I attended, we had a guy on our squad that forgot something critical....not once, but twice. First time, it was his rifle mag. He had to run ALLLLLLLLLL the way back to the start of the stage to retrieve it so he could run ALLLLLLLLL the way forward to engage the targets. Second time, it was his shotgun chest rig.

Here's the scary thing....he managed to complete both stages before timing-out AND got a fairly good time doing it.

All my excuses were invalid at that point. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty new to this (third match) and this weekend I did close to the same thing. I did the walk through, counted the targets...counted my belt load perfect.

Of course I didn't account for any misses or that the spinner would take me 3 shots. Got the spinner over and grabbed air when I went to reload. 3fte for the stage. Stupid but I won't make that mistake again!