Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok USPSA MDs, please tell me how this works?

Nimitz

Can someone please explain to me how the activity points system works and how clubs earn points which then somehow turn into Nationals slots? The actual methodology & formulas would be nice ... not just a bunch of speculation ... thx!

I do not have any of my old paperwork in front of me but the general process is as follows:

At the national level they decide the total number of slots to be issued for say Production Nationals. These slots are evenly distributed members wise to each of the Areas. At the area level they distribute them to the sections. The sections distribute them to the individual clubs. The math for distribution would be decided based on total number of shooters.

So we will say that a Section has 10 clubs in it. The 10 clubs have 200 Production shooters cross the 10 matches for the month. One club has 40 production shooters out of 100 total for the match. Another has 30 Production shooters out of 100 total at the match. The remaining 8 range from 5 to 20 Production shooters per 100 at the match because Limited or Open are much bigger divisions. Based on the number of shooters in each division the activity points are assigned. As I recall it is a combination of something like 1 point per shooter and a percentage average on top of that based on the total number of shooters in each division at the match. Based on the total points acquired for the year in that division the slots are distributed.

A club that has a lot of Production shooters will get more slots for Production Nationals, and a club with a lot of Open shooters will earn more Open slots.

Edited by Poppa Bear

Hello Val,
Is there a formula for determining how many slots are awarded? I thought it was based off of activity credits.
Do you just award to sections to do what they wish with slots.
If there is a magic formula it could apply at the club level as well correct? My club is OH03
Thanks
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone
profile_mask2.pngThe formula is the number of slots available
(total less returns and major match winners) divided by the total number of
credits earned by all sections/independent clubs - and of course, this will
change from year to year.

Edited by Sarge

At the national level they decide the total number of slots to be issued for say Production Nationals. These slots are evenly distributed members wise to each of the Areas. At the area level they distribute them to the sections. The sections distribute them to the individual clubs. The math for distribution would be decided based on total number of shooters.

That's almost right -- except that slots are distributed from USPSA to Sections and then further distributed according to section bylaws......

Areas aren't in the slots mix, other than Area Champions (Division winner, class winners, possibly category winners) receiving slots before the remainder are apportioned to sections according to their activity....

thx. I'm working on a proposal to submit to the next President for awarding slots to the WSSC that would also include some kind of incentive like a discount on the match fees and wanted to mirror how slots are done in USPSA where it made sense .... since there are currently no Areas & Sections in Steel Challenge I was just going to come up with a formula based off a combination of club match activity & numbers of individuals participating in the sanctioned events so it sounds like I'm pretty close to how it's done now in USPSA. Also, something for State Champions would need to be thrown in since that's the highest level of competitions there currently is besides the Nationals ....

Essentially the way it works currently is:

Total activity points for the prior year/(Total slots minus slots awarded to whomever you decide [possibly State champions?]) = # points needed to award a slot.

The second calculation is taking each Sections (possibly club's in your proposal) total activity and dividing it by the number needed per slot.

So hypothetically lets say that total activity is 1000 points, and you have a 150 slot match. After awarding a slot to each state champion, you've got 100 slots left.

1000/100=10 points per slot.

Club A had 80 total activity points -- they get 8 slots.....

and so on.....