Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I've fallen out of love

aandabooks

I like being "the revolver guy" at my club level matches. I don't spend much time picking up brass since it comes in nice little packages of 6 when I'm done shooting, and I found that I've become a better overall shooter after concentrating my time with DA revolvers this last year. I need to put a bit more thought into how I shoot each stage and make each shot count which has helped a lot to improve my scores. There will always be a few semi-auto guys who chuckle when you open that cylinder during LAMR but they'll stop laughing when the timer does. I ran my 625 faster than the whole CDP divison at our Aug. IDPA match and snagged the overall fastest time on one of the six stages. As BillR1 mentioned most people assume that revolver reloads have to be slow which isn't the case. I've thrown my fair share of loaded moonclips 6 feet down range, but with a bit of practice they are much faster for me than reloading a bottom fed magazine. Before anyone gives up on a revolver I suggest they shoot for at least one season to get used to it. I'm sure guys who switch over from revolvers to semi-autos are far more frustrated than going the other direction.

Thanks Alaskan454 for your comments. I love shooting the revolver more than the bottom feeders that I have. The expense of the .38 special (on the fence about reloading) has prevented me for shooting it during a season. I only shoot the revolver once a month. You are so right in that the funny looks are abundant when you walk to the line with a wheel gun . . .:)

I feel like my easiest and most direct path is to concentrate on production or shoot SS for the major pf.

Its all relative. In general, HHF's for production and Single Stack are very very stout to say the least, so saying its "easiest" is may be a relative statement.

Don't worry about shooting different divisions--I do, and it helps keep me interested in the game. Shooting is shooting!

This is an individual temperament thing, but I have definitely lost interest from doing one thing. Its one of the reasons the whole CO provisional thing is so interesting to me.

Thanks Alaskan454 for your comments. I love shooting the revolver more than the bottom feeders that I have. The expense of the .38 special (on the fence about reloading) has prevented me for shooting it during a season. I only shoot the revolver once a month. You are so right in that the funny looks are abundant when you walk to the line with a wheel gun . . .:)

Time to get on the powder blue bus! .38 is so much fun to reload. Wait until the funny looks are because you finished the stage ahead of them...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Alaskan454 for your comments. I love shooting the revolver more than the bottom feeders that I have. The expense of the .38 special (on the fence about reloading) has prevented me for shooting it during a season. I only shoot the revolver once a month. You are so right in that the funny looks are abundant when you walk to the line with a wheel gun . . . :)

Time to get on the powder blue bus! .38 is so much fun to reload. Wait until the funny looks are because you finished the stage ahead of them...

I finished an IDPA match ahead of two bottom feeders last Saturday.....could have finished ahead of five if it were not for my points down...arrgh!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished 5th overall today (out of 28 shooters) at an IDPA match with my 686. I got to whip more than a few bottom feeders! I probably could've went faster since I was only 2 points down for the entire match. Way fun!!

Edited by BillR1

I finished 5th overall yesterday out of 40. There were 3 revos, the rest auto. This was my first IDPA match in 20(?) years. I was down 1 point for the match. I was shooting a 4" .40 S&W 686. It was pretty fun. I already knew a few people there. Might do it again sometime.

Edited by Toolguy