Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another help pick a comp thread

ihocky2

I am building an open single stack for Steel Challenge and some falling steel matches. I currently load a 115gr. Bayou Bullet over 5.2 grs. of AA #5 in my open revolver for steel, but am willing to increase powder or switch powders if they will make better use of a compensator with a minor load.

I am looking at either the EGW 3 Port, Brazos Thundercomp 1, or Cheely 2 Port or 4 Port. The Cheely 4 Port is less aggressive than most other 4 ports, so I am not sure if is still too many ports. I like the Cheely and Brazo's because they are titanium, though I have to add a cone to the Cheely. The EGW I can do in aluminum, but still have to add the cone unless I go with the heavier stainless.

From personal experience, has anyone found one of these to be more effective than another?

I only have used EGW comps. I have shot others peoples guns and they felt good/great.

It's not only the comp, it's how well the whole gun is setup/matched, if that is proper verbiage. Meaning is the gun stroked, weight of the gun, proper springs the shooter itself.

But as for seeing what you load etc is the EGW 3 port comp should be fine.

Edited by bigboy69

With a lower power factor load with less gas to work the comp you might want to use a steel comp and not titanium. I had a STI shorty minor 9 open gun with a ti comp and switched to a steel comp. The added weight at the end of the barrel

helped with the light loads.

Hello: You want a powder that creates more gas for an open gun. I am guessing you will be building a 9mm open gun so the 115's should work well. HS-6, Auto-Comp and Silhouette are what I would use. A power factor of 140 works well also. I would also consider a bull barrel that is lightened and a short comp with 3-ports. Thanks, Eric

EGW markets an aluminum 3 port comp for light Steel Challenge or Bianchi Cup loads. Its hybrid style so you will need a threaded bull barrel or a conversion cone.

I've used the conversion cone in the past. Its nice if you like to experiment with comps. Fit the cone once and all you need to switch comps is unscrew the old comp from the conversion cone and screw on the new comp and run an alignment reamer through the comp. (Unlike some compensator alignment reamers, the EGW version is a pull through style so it will work with even the longest comp.)

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=215a

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Had my gunocologist put a new 9mm skinny barrel and the EGW three port cone comp on my open steel gun.

I wanted a little weight out there and the comp weighs in at 3 ounces. Price is good on the EGW, too.

The plan is to use a faster powder with light bullets, but you know how plans are. We'll see.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it sure does look bitchin'. :rolleyes:

I've got some options to look at, my titanium comps are as light as they come. The port design will also excel on lighter loads because of the small 1st port. More details in my vendor section: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206151

Titanium, 1.8oz, designed to shoot flat.

IMG_7189.jpg

For the hardcore cone comp lovers I also recently cut it into an EGW cone comp blank.

20150712_142450.jpg