Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac-Sol on a Buckmark

rooster mcbee

I'm wanting to install a Tactical Solution Trail Lite barrel on my Buckmark, but I'm not sure which length I should get. The 5.5 seems to be the most available, but after a compensator is installed, it looks long and front heavy. The 4 inch looks less gargantuan, but I'm not sure if I'm giving anything up with losing and inch and a half. What are your opinions? Thanks, Doug

I would say to go short to save on extra weight swinging around out in front of the gun. The furthest target in Steel Challenge is 35 yards, so I am sure that the short barrel is plenty accurate. My Ruger 22/45 Lite 4.4" factory barrel can probably shoot a sub-1" group out that far, so I am sure the TS barrel can do the same or better.

If that is 24 oz. on your scale mine must read a little high. My Buckmark shows 27 oz. on my scale with a lighter comp and thumbrest but a heavier C-More mount since I use a 90 degree. My new FrankenRuger weighs almost exactly the same. Still like I say the goal is to get under 30 oz. Once you are under that the small differences don't mean much. As for irons I prefer a fluted 7.25" barrel for the sight radius advantage. My Limited gun on my scale reads 20 oz.. That's with Williams Firesights on it, my preferred sights.

What I know is old. In the days when BJ and both shot Buckmarks (around 2010 before he went with S&W) we both independently tested 5.5 and 7.25" TS barrels. We both agreed we loved the balance of the 7.25" barrel. But we both shot faster with the 5.5" barrel setup. Now we both use FrankenRuger Mk III's. I use a 4.5" TS upper and at least last year I think BJ was using a 6". He gave it to Kaitlyn to use after he left for the Texas 3-gun event at the NSSF.

I don't think it matters even the weight, if you can muscle it. Robby Orent used to use the heaviest .22 I ever lifted, that gun Scott built from the Olympic per Robby's gunsmith's design when Robby was shooting for VQ. I watched him shoot 6 and some change on Smoke and Hope at York in 2010 or so and that thing had to weight 40 oz. at a minimum. All stainless although they shaved the barrel thinner. The gun they eventually put the carbon fiber barrel on. Still weighed a bunch. I saw Allie Barrett use one at the Ruger Rimfire WC in 2013 I think. I got Robby to shoot my LW Buckmark in practice but he refused to shoot it on the timer. However I could tell he could have shot faster with my gun although he had to change his braking technique at each target. Too bad he is out of shooting except for instructing these days.

Edited by photoracer

If that is 24 oz. on your scale mine must read a little high. My Buckmark shows 27 oz. on my scale with a lighter comp and thumbrest but a heavier C-More mount since I use a 90 degree. My new FrankenRuger weighs almost exactly the same. Still like I say the goal is to get under 30 oz. Once you are under that the small differences don't mean much. As for irons I prefer a fluted 7.25" barrel for the sight radius advantage. My Limited gun on my scale reads 20 oz.. That's with Williams Firesights on it, my preferred sights.

it's definitely 24oz as we weighed it with another scale because we were comparing 2 identical Buckmarks, one with the 5.5" barrel & one with about 1.5 inches cut off it ...

That is the real key. What works for someone else may not be best for you. Plus if you find yourself plateauing, changing your firearm setup can often be one way to push yourself to the next level. Even when I am shooting well I often designate a month to try new things just to see what kind of effect on my shooting it has. It might be mental, it might be physical, or it might be equipment.