Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo Elite Limited Upgrade Questions

Livn68

I will be purchasing a Tanfoglio Limited Elite 40S&W in the near future. I plan to shoot it in Limited, so I would like to know what the experienced Tanfo owners here suggest for mods/ upgrades.

What are the Must-Haves, Nice to Haves, and Don't Bothers out there?

On my limited i added the following:

Henning extended firing pin

Henning narrow f.o. front sight

Henning short reach s.a. trigger

Taylor freelance base pads

Polished all trigger parts

Like others here I enjoy modding my comp guns so for me a USPSA limited tanfo would look like this:

Limited in 40 cal.
K40 mags with henning bases (assuming they fit gauge which I think they do for uspsa) and grams spring+ follower combo for 20 or 21 rounds
DAA thumb rest
Henning 10.75 recoil spring
Henning firing pin
Extreme light hammer spring and firing pin spring
Henning/egw sear and hammer
Henning flat trigger and trigger pin
Henning magwell
Whatever grips you like

whatever sights you like
Henning guiderod
Consider maybe even getting the slide cut as per the limited customs that the rest of the world gets.

That will give a great feeling, reliable, accurate gun with a 2lb trigger. Not as short as a 2011 trigger but still pretty nice to run.

Do you 'need' to do any of that stuff? Not really. You could grab one out of the box and perhaps just change the recoil spring to one suitable for your loads. The trigger will be a little long and a little heavy for a SAO comp gun but certainly not unmanageable. They do make a really nice pistol and a great option for something different to all the 2011s and polymer guns about.

kneelingatlas' advice is probably cool if A) you don't like mucking around with the gun too much, B) you don't want to through $800 in bits at a $800 gun or C) you're just happy with it how it is.

At least that will get you somewhat near 2011 capacity, a decent magwell (improves the grip as well as the reloads) and the sights you need.

Just bought one myself, I've been trying to decide how far I should go as well. I will definitely do trigger polishing, Henning trigger, 10 3/4 recoil spring, Henning firing pin and slide cutting. I'll put some coffin cuts on the front end. I'll see what else I feel like doing.....

I agree with jacob0, If you do get one, just shoot it for a while. They really aren't to bad right out of the box. ( just in case you decide to go another direction ), and if you do decide that this is the one, take your time, do some research and build it out.

It will only get better.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I intend to run the heck out of it as is before making any major modifications. I would, However like to know what springs guys are running for the best performance. I will pick up a couple of 10.75 recoil springs, but would like more feedback on the merits of other springs.

I would also like to hear more about the Taylor Freelance extensions, ad I thought Henning was the only game in town.

I run the Henning 10.75, which works reliably for me for both major and minor loads.

I have several of the taylor freelance extended basepads. They are not as nice as the Henning pads. If you want less hassle, I would go with Henning. The locking screw on the TF has to be backed out several turns or else it will hit the factory magwell and not seat.