Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the most accurate plated 230 RN?

JJP161

So I am only interested in plated bullets at the moment for the 45 cal. 230 RN and was curious what you all have found to be the most accurate and consistent? So far I have loaded about 3,000 Berry's 230 RN and have had good luck with them but I haven't tried any of the Rainier or Xtreme bullets in the 230 RN. I know there are plenty of good coated bullets out there but my range does not allow them and I can't buy jacketed in bulk quantities that would make it economical in comparison to plated. So has anyone had any experience or done any testing with all three in the 230 RN? Thank you.

I have found the Xtreme to be the most accurate. Using Berrys RN 230, the rounds would lock up my Kimber about every fifth round, even after changing the OAL. I would try a sample or 100 pack from each and find out what shoots best in your pistol. To me there are so many variables from firearm to firearm, the final test will depend on the gun. Keep in mind the choice of powder and velocity are also huge participants in accuracy.

That's what makes the reloading crowd happy, striving to find the round that will get you the A Zone.......still looking for it doggone it.

( As is my case, accuracy might possibly be affected by aging eyes, bad back, and not so stable hands, but I deny such allegations.)

I have found the Xtreme to be the most accurate. Using Berrys RN 230, the rounds would lock up my Kimber about every fifth round, even after changing the OAL. I would try a sample or 100 pack from each and find out what shoots best in your pistol. To me there are so many variables from firearm to firearm, the final test will depend on the gun. Keep in mind the choice of powder and velocity are also huge participants in accuracy.

That's what makes the reloading crowd happy, striving to find the round that will get you the A Zone.......still looking for it doggone it.

( As is my case, accuracy might possibly be affected by aging eyes, bad back, and not so stable hands, but I deny such allegations.)

Sounds like I will definitely have to try some Xtreme 230 gr RN. You all have a made a compelling argument for them without a doubt. With that said I never had the problems with the Berry's like that and I think you hit the nail on the head. It probably all boils down to a number of factors from the weapon to the load, conditions, our abilities, etc. It would be great to see some testing with all things being equal over a number of weapons and loads. Thank you for your input I will have to let you guys know how it goes with them.

Sent from the BatPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah throw in another vote for Xtreme 230 gr plated. All I run in my .45's anymore. Gives the accuracy of anything factory I have ever shot in that profile at less than half the cost a round of factory using Red Dot.