Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40S&W 200r with Titegroup

Just getting a M&P 40 pro to use in limited. I do my own loading and up to this point have not loaded any 40cal so i am looking for a little help.

First bullet weight, I see a bunch of back and forth on this and coming from 9mm I love the heavy 147 over all others. Question, is the recoil effect from the heavier bullets the same in 40 as it is in 9mm? I would like to try the 200gr FP Bayou bullet out but hate to buy things that don't work.

Second is powder, currently I have a few selections but really like the way titegroup burns in my 9mm and see there are a lot of people that use it in their 40's as well.

Third is OAL, I like to run my reloads as long as is permitted by the gun. Any lengths that the M&P doesn't like?

I'm not posting any specific load data, but I will say this, I've shot thousands of 200 grain Bayou bullets, but I use VV N320 powder. It's a fantastic combination, IMO, and N320 requires less powder for a given velocity than Titegroup. It's a slower burning powder, which as I understand it is better for shorter OALs like what the M&P will require (I'm loading Bayou's out to 1.180-1.185. They probably wouldn't even fit in an M&P mag).