Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Max OAL for sti edge 9mm

DaveFromAus

Hi guys looking for some load data for a edge mainly max overall length usin a 125gn conical nose lead coated projectile.

Also what size projectile diameter do most use.? Won't have my edge for a month or so but want some help would a .356 chamber ok or is .355 the max?

Thanks

my recent tests have been with blue bullets

and i tested .358 dia.

there is much controversy regarding what dia for 9mm.

they worked extremely well for me, with zero leading.

all Round nose bullets are not created equal. the nose profile changes from bullet to bullet. you'll have to push test each to get max oal. closest thing is to find someone with same gun/bbl with similar round count and then the COAL will be "close"

looking for load data for a edge mainly max overall length usin a 125gn conical nose lead coated projectile.

Dave, unfortunately, each brand of 125 grain lead bullets can

require a different OAL.

Really shouldn't load too many for your new gun until you can

run a Plunk Test on your gun, with your bullets. :cheers:

If it will pass the plunk test, go in the magazine, AND feed reliably you are good to go as far as function is concerned. Accuracy is another matter.

I have put a .356 147gr Xtreme bullet in my 6" STI and it will hit the lands an OAL of 1.305.

I can put a .355 124gr Xtreme in the chamber, then drop in an empty case and pass the plunk test.

The bore diameter is .355.

This is an STI factory gun.

Draw your own conclusions about what you may expect from STI.

Edited by RPatton

Good luck with the load development. As others have mentioned, the plunk test is the only way to be sure. I would second the recommendation for a round nose as well. Unless you are hunting with it I haven't found a good reason for a big flat meplat.

What kind of round nose are we talking? All I can find is 135gn and bigger.

The smaller image is 135gn on the right side and the the 125gn is the bigger image on the left when you click it. Will these 125 feed ok

post-53791-0-78150900-1438845990_thumb.j

post-53791-0-52325800-1438846004_thumb.j

Edited by DaveFromAus