Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA vs USPSA scoring

ES13Raven

Just for fun, I took 3 shooter's scores from a USPSA match and applied IDPA scoring to it.

Interesting that the 1st place shooter in USPSA is 3rd with IDPA scoring.

The only thing I couldn't account for was possible FTNs:

kobvxy4.jpg

Edited by ES13Raven

Hit factor vs. Time added scoring for you. Assuming you were a revolver shooter you could triple score it to idpa, USPSA, and ICORE. You'd likely come up with different placing there too. Maybe a fun match would be to put several targets of various disciplines up and take the time for each stage and triple or quad score it.

Did you account for major and minor scoring?

What do you mean? The original HFs are scored major & minor. IDPA does not have different scoring for major and minor.

In the USPSA scoring, the Major shooting has a higher hit factor because he got more points and finished first. Since there is no scoring difference in IDPA he finished third. If you scored him minor, he would have finished in the same place as he did in IDPA

Edited by Bkreutz

In the USPSA scoring, the Major shooting has a higher hit factor because he got more points and finished first. Since there is no scoring difference in IDPA he finished third. If you scored him minor, he would have finished in the same place as he did in IDPA

True. But this wasn't a USPSA major vs. minor scoring comparison. This was just a USPSA scoring vs. IDPA scoring comparison.

My math was off on the Hit Factor totals. I added all the HFs together and divided by 5, but that doesn't come out right. I will fix it and add the minor scoring for Shooter 3.

Edit: Should be correct now.

Edited by ES13Raven

• 2 weeks later...

interesting, but no really. it's a pretty simple concept that on a typical uspsa stage, a charlie is equivalent to .2-ish seconds if shooting major, and .4-ish seconds if shooting minor, whereas in IDPA a charlie is worth .5 seconds. That's why it's important to hit aplhas if you're shooting minor, and why it's even MORE important to hit the down-zero if you're shooting IDPA.

Obviously, the shooters would change their strategy if you changed the scoring (and told them about it).

If the average USPSA hit factor (points / sec) is 5.0 then droping a point means you have to shoot 0.2 sec faster to keep the same hit factor, i.e., a point is worth 0.2 sec. If the hit factor is 2.0 (very low for most USPSA stages) then a point is worth 0.5 sec.

Compared to IDPA scoring, USPSA scoring favors speed over accuracy, up to a point. In USPSA a Mike is not just 5 points lost but an additional 10 points removed, its worth 15 points. At an average hit factor of 5.0, you need to shoot 3 sec faster to make up that Mike, just a tad more than in IDPA. On larger run & gun USPSA stages you CAN shoot fast enough to win. Its much harder in IDPA.

We have a fair number of crossover shooters in the local area and I can't tell you how many times an IDPA shooter shows up at a USPSA match and shoots all alpha's and is dismayed they are in the bottom of the field or a USPSA shooter shows up at an IDPA match and shoots a really fast time on the stage only to find they are at the bottom of field due to Mikes and FTN's.

Been there, done that. :cheers:

Edited by Rob Tompkins

on a typical uspsa stage, a charlie is equivalent to .2-ish seconds if shooting major, and .4-ish seconds if shooting minor

Does that change much on a 30 second stage vs. a 15 second stage?

As rob astutely outlined, it changes based on hit factor, not on length of stage.

I don't think smoking a stage would include Mikes and FTN's.

"Smoking it" in the context I used it is in terms of raw time only. :cheers:

If you 'smoke' a stage in uspsa with lots of mikes and deltas, you are going to suck almost as bad as in idpa.

We have a fair number of crossover shooters in the local area and I can't tell you how many times an IDPA shooter shows up at a USPSA match and shoots all alpha's and is dismayed they are in the bottom of the field or a USPSA shooter shows up at an IDPA match and shoots a really fast time on the stage only to find they are at the bottom of field due to Mikes and FTN's.

I don't think smoking a stage would include Mikes and FTN's.

"Smoking it" in the context I used it is in terms of raw time only. :cheers:

If you 'smoke' a stage in uspsa with lots of mikes and deltas, you are going to suck almost as bad as in idpa.

I changed my previous post so we are not debating the meaning of "smoking" a stage.

Hard to really score the targets with idpa rules with out seeing the hits. For example low A zone hits would be a -1 on an idpa target not -0.

True, but this wasn't a scientific experiment - just a fun exercise. C hits close to the side of the A zone would be a -0 in an IDPA target too.