Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MD's - How do you run Showdown?

ZackJones

From Appendix E2 of the Steel Challenge Rulebook

Showdown will have two 3x 3 shooting boxes and two runs will be shot from one shooting box and two from the other. The competitor may choose from either box to shoot their fifth and final run.

To me, this means the correct way to run it is to shoot two strings from one box, move, shoot two from the other box and then (possibly) move a second time to shoot the final string. Do any of you actually run it that way? At the two monthly matches I shoot we don't. We all know which box we'd rather shoot 3 strings from and so we just shoot 3 from that box, move and then shoot 2 from the other box. Have you ever shot a match where you were required to shoot 2 and then move event though you know you wanted to shoot three strings from the box you started in? For those of you that shot the nationals how did you shoot it there? Anyone shoot with 2014 world shoot? If so how did you shoot it?

We usually ask the shooter to know which box they will shoot 3 from before starting the stage so we aren't wasting too much time moving back and forth. This is also how we shot it down at Nationals IIRC. Either way, you are shooting 2/3 or 3/2 so it really shouldn't make a difference. We also usually try to give the RO a heads up as to how many we are shooting in each box before we start so they know when we are moving. Also, IMHO, the RO should never remind the shooter to move since moving is the shooter's responsibility and not moving will result in procedurals. Yes, for newbies at local matches we will remind them, but higher level matches it shouldn't happen.

~S

. .... Anyone shoot with 2014 world shoot? If so how did you shoot it?

I shot the match in Utah..

The ROs did make you shoot 2 from 1box and 2 from the other and then choose final box.

I recall shooters complaining because they (and me) usually shoot three from one box and two from the last box.

Appreciate the feedback. I like the idea of asking the shooter if they know which box they want to shoot 3 strings from and then starting them in the opposite box.

Exactly. That keeps it running smooth amd everyone is happy [emoji1]

at the US Nationals last year & this year there was no mandatory shoot 2, move, shoot 2 & move again. Also, the ROs always told you to move if you weren't already doing it ....

sometimes I shoot 2 & move, then shoot 3 & other times I shoot 3 & then move .... it depends on how I'm shooting the stage that day .... I also always start out in the right box ....

I agree. I usually shoot the 2 left side first but if I am shooting well I will do three then move for the last 2. That gives to the best advantage overall so that the decision actually means something at the time.

the more I read the rule the more I believe Zack's interpretation is correct. however, should be a non issue more most shooters since you simply pick the side you only want to shoot 2 from & start there. This way, after moving, when the RO says where do you want to shoot the last string from you simply say "I'll stay here". The only monkey wrench would be if the ROs forced you to start in a particular box which they can't ....